Grounded conductor identification

Status
Not open for further replies.

joeyww12000

200.6 states grounded conductor sizes 6 awg and smaller must be identified by a continuous white or gray outer finish or by 3 continuous white stripes along its entire length. On every job Ive been on gray or white phasing tape has been used to mark all grounded conductors that had a black insulation regardless of size. Was this not correct? Am I reading correctly that if the grounded conductor is 6 awg or smaller its insulation must be white or gray and not just made white by phasing tape?

daleuger

200.6 states grounded conductor sizes 6 awg and smaller must be identified by a continuous white or gray outer finish or by 3 continuous white stripes along its entire length. On every job Ive been on gray or white phasing tape has been used to mark all grounded conductors that had a black insulation regardless of size. Was this not correct? Am I reading correctly that if the grounded conductor is 6 awg or smaller its insulation must be white or gray and not just made white by phasing tape?

I've seen and phased black 8 awg's every color in the rainbow. 8's are smaller than 6's. Someone call the electrical police. :wink:

10's and 12's yeah that's a bit ridiculous not to have the right color.

Just curious what happened to make you bring it up?

joeyww12000

I've seen and phased black 8 awg's every color in the rainbow. 8's are smaller than 6's. Someone call the electrical police. :wink:

10's and 12's yeah that's a bit ridiculous not to have the right color.

Just curious what happened to make you bring it up?

Nothing happened I was just reading some code this morning and realized Ive never seen any white or gray 6 or 8 awg on any job Ive been on with the company I work for. I was just wondering if they didnt care or didnt know.

daleuger

Nothing happened I was just reading some code this morning and realized Ive never seen any white or gray 6 or 8 awg on any job Ive been on with the company I work for. I was just wondering if they didnt care or didnt know.

FWIW I've never seen 6 or 8 in any color other than black either, other than on some at least 20 year old existing work. Good question. :-?

LOL......On my way!........uhh where are you?.....:wink::D

Have fun with that border crossing. Americans tend to get treated like terrorists by both sides. (and no not just me) :mad:

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
The CMP drew the line in the sand a 6 and smaller can not be re identified. We have all violated this rule. But its the rule. 6 AWG is available in white if you plan ahead

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
In many areas of the country this rule is not followed. Around here it is rare to see white or green larger than #10. I really don't see a safety hazard with the re-identification of a conductor with white tape and if the electrician can't tell a conductor is being used as a grounding conductor without seeing the color green, he has no business being an electrician.

Twoskinsoneman

Occupation
Facility Senior Electrician
The CMP drew the line in the sand a 6 and smaller can not be re identified. We have all violated this rule. But its the rule. 6 AWG is available in white if you plan ahead

I agree that planning ahead is the way to go. But I know guys that regularly break the rule knowingly. Laziness is my guess.

Also not sure EVERYONE has violated the rule :smile:

Twoskinsoneman

Occupation
In many areas of the country this rule is not followed. Around here it is rare to see white or green larger than #10. I really don't see a safety hazard with the re-identification of a conductor with white tape and if the electrician can't tell a conductor is being used as a grounding conductor without seeing the color green, he has no business being an electrician.

Being an electrician could become difficult indeed if everyone just decides to enforce only those rule they see fit. :confused:

Twoskinsoneman

Occupation
Haven't met an inspector yet in my area that would let me get away with reidentifcation of #6 and #8.
Pull the wrong colors and you'll be replacing them.

Good so far as I'm concerned. It points at a fundamental lack of code knowledge that I think most folks on this forum would like to see remedied. Can you image? Electricians that know the code and produce good safe installations consistantly... yowzer!

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Good so far as I'm concerned. It points at a fundamental lack of code knowledge that I think most folks on this forum would like to see remedied. Can you image? Electricians that know the code and produce good safe installations consistantly... yowzer!
How is it safe to re-identify #4 but not safe to re-identify #8? This is just an arbitrary line in the sand, and in some areas this line has been moved...unofficially, in most cases, but still moved. An electrician that needs to see the colors white and green to identify the function of the conductors is not a qualified person and shouldn't be doing electrical work.

Status
Not open for further replies.