Why HD?

Status
Not open for further replies.

wireman3736

As I said earlier I prefer shopping at the local wholesaler mainly because of the service, again getting delivered to the job site or my shop,if they don't have an item they can usually get it from another Branch by the next day(try that at HD), next week there putting on a free fire alarm seminar, what kind of seminar does HD put on, (building a deck):grin: HD is good for the every day handy man but even if they where less expensive the delivery service from my supplier saves me allot over a years time. You can't beat a good working relationship with a local electrical supplier, they take care of me when I need it most.:cool:

peter d

e57 said:
Hmmmm... Home Destructo or Lows carries >600A switch gear? 250MCM? Can order you specialty items, like floor boxes, and lighting? Control systems?

I don't think this is a legitimate comparison. Lowes and Home Depot cater to the residential market. And I was told by a supplier that HD will price and order any Square D equipment.

peter d

celtic said:
I am not suggesting that at all....I am saying it.

I was not the one to notice it, one of my guys did - he brought it to my attention (on the jobsite), I agreed with his opinion. I had another one of my guys(at this same jobsite) also offer his opinion...which matched the previous 2 opinions.

This was a job I was doing in 93/94? ....and that was the last time I bought wire at HD.

It was probably a defective lot, and likely had nothing to do with HD. I've seen defective wire come from the supplier too - 6/3 NM with insulation missing on the white wire.

HD, as far as I can remember, has always carried Southwire "Romex" brand. I highly doubt it's specially made.

celtic

electricmanscott said:
I have an extremely hard time believing this.
(in regards to the wire)

Well, we all have our own set of beliefs....you are free to believe it or not.

peter d said:
It was probably a defective lot, and likely had nothing to do with HD.
HD, as far as I can remember, has always carried Southwire "Romex" brand. I highly doubt it's specially made.

You doubt it's specially made?
How about the jacuzzi tubs?
They ARE made "exclusively" for BB. Lots of other products also carry the "elite" exclusive moniker.
Do you think this labeling means the product is:
- superior quality to the standard product?
- equal quality to the standard product?
-lower quality to the standard product?
I strongly doubt jacuzzi sells as much quantity as Southwire, but jacuzzi somehow managed to re-tool a factory to procuce this "exclusive" product.

Try this test out ~ as I haven't bought wire at BB in over a decade ~ get some NM from a supply house, get some NM from BB. Strip a foot of each of the outer jacket. Hand these 12" pieces to someone else and ask them "Are they the same?"

electricmanscott said:
You ever try to get service from Amazon? :wink:
Actually, I have.
They send me a new item and a label to stick(or you can print it out yourself) on the return box - the return box being the box the new item came in.

e2me

12/2 is 12/2

12/2 is 12/2

electricmanscott said:
I have an extremely hard time believing this.
As do I ! 12/2 is 12/2 there are standards to meet to be 12/2,Or it is not .If you notice the big box stores have the same brand wire as your supply house. why is this ,because they all come from one of 4 mass producers and then are packaged to meet the needs of there wholesalers and then sent out to your supply houses or big box retailers the producers dont care if Lowe's or graybar are getting it and surely don't make thinner 12/2 for one or the other

celtic

All you have to do is take a simple mechanical test...that would prove/disprove all theorys/hypothesis.

peter d

celtic said:
You doubt it's specially made?

Wire? Yes. Jacuzzi tubs, faucets, paint? Yeah, I have no doubt they are big box "exclusives."

As far as the wire, I think the variations have to do with the factory, machine operator, and raw materials, not specially made product for Home Depot. 3 different rolls of Southwire "romex brand" can come from 3 different factories in Alabama or Georgia. I always try to buy the Romex brand and it's always a little different depending on where it was made.

The company I work for purchases a lot of 12/2 for our temp lights and outlets. It comes exclusively from the supplier. The jacket on some of it is paper thin, and some of it's like rawhide. Like I said, it all depends on what brand it is, what machine made it, who ran the machine, and what factory it came from.

celtic

Do you think these variations in material, process, etc would result in a #12 "feeling" like a #14?

This was the product we encountered. This is when my distain for BB began to form. With subsequent problems at BB, my opinion of them has only gotten lower.

But that's me.
You are free to do whatever you like.
It's a great country, isn't it?

growler

celtic said:
Do you think these variations in material, process, etc would result in a #12 "feeling" like a #14?

Are you sure it wasn't #14 that had been packaged as #12 ( the plastic wrapper ). Mistakes happen.

I had General Electric Supply try to sell me two bad breakers one day. I got a little hot when I saw bad written on the side of one of them. It was just an idiot of a sales clerk. It didn't take long for them to find some good ones.

I don't like the idea behind the big box stores. I do wish there were more small privately owned businesses in America. I don't really think there is any difference in the quality of the materials sold becasue this would require a different UL label and testing. Manufacturers are already produceing the cheapest quality that's possible in order to remain competitive.

Who was it that was caught selling all those counterfeit breakers? It wasn't Big Orange but a leading supply house. You have to watch out for what you are buying no matter where you buy it. Quality controll isn't what it once was.

brian john

As I stated early in this thread times are a changin (as they always are). I am afraid it is hard for the small one store supply house to stay in business. In my area many of the stores are now part of a chain, who knows the "Mother Company" could be a Lowe's or HD.

I prefer supply houses, long time friendships and relationships, but at HD I see the same thing with the regulars in the early morning but I doubt many of the sales folks will be there (HD) in 20 years.

e57

electricmanscott said:
What city is this Moscow? :rolleyes:

It seems that way sometimes.... :roll: But it has a few political factors. When you have a half dozen supply houses for every trade, and an equal number of lumber yards, specialty hardware, and 30 or so general neighborhood hardware stores in every neighborhood, they have quite a lobbying effect. And every time HD attempts to get through planning, the NIMBY's come out of the woodwook like termites. When HD Supply bought White Cap Supply they have had a real hard time changing the name and signage here. Especially when all of thier customers say if they change the sign on the trucks - they wont use them anymore. I think HD realized this, and now buys up other supply houses under the White Cap name.
http://www.whitecapdirect.com/news/acquisitionupdate.jsp A number of people have noticed the changes in the way they operate, and stopped using them anyway.

Originally Posted by peter d
I don't think this is a legitimate comparison. Lowes and Home Depot cater to the residential market. And I was told by a supplier that HD will price and order any Square D equipment.

Exactly, I'm not limited to just the residential market - and past that area of the market, those places are useless. Why not go to the place that specializes to your trade and caters to you? I frequent a family buisiness for a majority of my supplies, and I get whatever I want at discount prices delivered... When you have quality product, great service at a good price at the local Burger Joint, who needs the 'Golden Arches'?

peter d

FWIW, I think there is a place for all of these businesses to coexist. As Celtic said, it's a great country. Although the supply industry is rapidly consolidating and changing, I don't think the old fashioned supply counter is going to disappear any time soon.

I am not a business owner, but if I was, I can assure you that I would be purchasing from an electrical distributor. But some good deals can be had at the big boxes, especially for bulk items, and I would not turn them down.

I happen to like HD and Lowes because I'm a DIY hack and I like to fix and install things in my own home.

growler

brian john said:
As I stated early in this thread times are a changin (as they always are) at HD I see the same thing with the regulars in the early morning but I doubt many of the sales folks will be there (HD) in 20 years.

20 years from now there probably won't be people at the counter. Robots will take thier place and maybe our's also.

"Danger Will Robinson, Danger "

Any one interested in becomming a Luddite.

wireman3736

growler said:
20 years from now there probably won't be people at the counter. Robots will take thier place and maybe our's also.

"Danger Will Robinson, Danger "

Any one interested in becomming a Luddite.

I think you have been watching the Terminator:grin:

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I also like being able to scan and pick up the items when I have to piece something together. I'm more likely to get every part I need on the first trip.

celtic

growler said:
Are you sure it wasn't #14 that had been packaged as #12 ( the plastic wrapper ). Mistakes happen.

Mistakes do happen...if this was a mistake, then the "white" #14 must have gotten some "yellow" #12 mixed in the batch.

Status
Not open for further replies.