Question to Mr. Holt or ??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Many times, grounding electrode conductors regularly carry current. Many electricians assume the only time there will be current in a grounding electrode conductor for a properly wired system is during a fault. This assumption is usually based on the definitions presented in Art. 250 of the NEC, specifically the interpretations and misinterpretations of 250.2......
For more on this go to this link previously supplied by Celtic in another thread.

http://ecmweb.com/grounding/electric_shocking_truth_grounding/

If this is truly the case than is it possible that these currents can cause some problems (arcing perhaps)when the GEC is inserted thru the small hole of a meter base if the ground rod connection gets compromised somehow. Just a thought. I am not usre that it can but I seem to remember something about this from years ago.

With that said it is common practice around here to use the hole in the meter base. I can't imagine what else that hole is for.

iwire

Staff member
Dennis Alwon said:
If this is truly the case than is it possible that these currents can cause some problems (arcing perhaps)when the GEC is inserted thru the small hole of a meter base

I don't see how we would get enough voltage drop in the 6" to 18" of GEC between the 'hole' and where the GEC is terminated to the neutral bar to cause any arcing.

tallgirl

Occupation
Controls Systems firmware engineer
The last time Kenny Clamps were discussed here someone provided a video which showed why they are useful. My recollection is that they reduce the arc temperature, should arcing occur, and thus prevent the GEC from being vaporized. Whether or not a Romex clamp would achieve the same goal is an entirely different matter, as is whether or not said Romex clamp is listed for that purpose.

Still waiting for someone here to re-post the video from last time ...

John Arendt

OK, 7:30 PM Sunday. Mr Holt responded to which I'm grateful.

Based on the varied responses here, the opinion of Mike Holt, and of the other members on this forum, I am satisfied with the responses.

The NEC does not require a connector for an GEC entering/exiting an enclosure. (Period)

IMHO, that would mean case closed!

Celtic: If you read this, you may be the one close enough for a cold one sometime!

John

celtic

John Arendt said:
Celtic: If you read this, you may be the one close enough for a cold one sometime!

John
I dunno if I was close to anything but insanity :D, but a cold ones a cold one and tee-off time is a mere 13 days away.

p36024b.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.