Status
Not open for further replies.

QES

how much would your charge for?
1980 home
1500 sf
3 room, 1 kitchen, 2 car gar., 1 living

1. upgrading service from 60A to 125A overhead
2.replaced 2 wire #14 to 3 wire#3 for all room mention above.
3. replaced all new switches and outlet.

celtic

QES said:
1. upgrading service from 60A to 125A overhead
$1800

QES said:
2.replaced 2 wire #14 to 3 wire#3 for all room mention above.
Strictly T&M.
I would offer them the option of having it GFI'ed to save money.
I'd also offer the wire to be substainially smaller than a #3! LOL

QES said:
3. replaced all new switches and outlet.
$35 per device, plastic plate, no decora, or dimmers...GFCI's @ $150/per/

celtic

mdshunk said:
That's a T&M job. You never know how much junk's gonna be in the way to move to get to the devices.

But you do know there is always gonna be some junk in the way :D

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Nobody can tell you what price to charge. You know the house better than any of us, ie, one story vs two story, basement, crawl space or slab, plaster vs drywall.

Take a stab at how long you think it will take and add a safety "fudge factor". Decide how much you charge / hour.
Then come up with a decent material list and then put the markup you want on it.

Davis9

You're going to basically rewire the house for 3600? If you replace the existing wiring you may have to bring the house up to current standards. Maybe not, but seems low to me.

If I'm reading the OP correctly, You will be rewiring all those rooms.

Unless you are a wizard at snaking in the new wiring, You will be there for at least a week. Even if you are a wizard it's at least 3 days.3600-Materials, Permits, OH, Labor, etc doesn't leave much for You. Your Helper may make more than You.

Moving Furniture has it's risks, I've moved stuff before that was on the brink of breaking as it was. Covering, cleaning floors takes time as well.

New this house would be more, IMHO Old work is Harder, but can be more profitable if done correctly.

BTW $3/sq ft x 1500 sq/ft = $4500. Not $3600

Tom

I'm thinking it is to add a grounding conductor
That's a pretty big grounding conductor. You can usually downsize your grounding conductor. If it is a grounding conductor they must have 100 amp circuits to those rooms. That's gonna be a real bitch to splice and trim.

aelectricalman

Ouch

Ouch

3.50 sq/ft plus permits and a very exact stipulation that all furniture and debris be moved prior to the start of the job. All labor not associated with the wiring of the home would be charged at a rate of $80 per hour, per person.

Davis9

IllinoisContractor said:
That's a pretty big grounding conductor. You can usually downsize your grounding conductor. If it is a grounding conductor they must have 100 amp circuits to those rooms. That's gonna be a real bitch to splice and trim.

Here I was thinking that a 100A Circuit only needed an #8Cu Silly Me, LOL:rolleyes:

Tom:grin:

Davis9

IllinoisContractor said:
You got me Tom. I think I have a neutral loose in my mind.

It's OK I think that We are all allowed a Brain Fa*t now and again.

To the OP, I would say that emahler was being sarcastic. If I'm wrong I'm sorry(3/sqft).

Tom

emahler

Davis9 said:
To the OP, I would say that emahler was being sarcastic. If I'm wrong I'm sorry(3/sqft).

Tom

Sorry for the delay in responding....the sarcasm was dripping so bad, it caused my monitors to fog up...

Status
Not open for further replies.