3 gang meter stack on 400 amp service

Status
Not open for further replies.

craigo321

I have a Sq. D meter stack with 3 200 amp breaker slots but the bus is only 4rated for 400 amp. I installed a 400 amp service loop to the main lugs of the 3 gang stack. I am being told that this is not allowed because the 3 breakers can add up to 600. Why would Sq. D make a 400 amp bus with (3) 200 amp slots if it wasn't acceptable.

raider1

Staff member
I am being told that this is not allowed because the 3 breakers can add up to 600.

Who is telling you this?

Take a look at Exception No. 3 to 230.90(A)

Here is what it says:

Exception No. 3: Two to six circuit breakers or sets of fuses shall be permitted as the overcurrent device to provide the overload protection. The sum of the ratings of the circuit breakers or fuses shall be permitted to exceed the ampacity of the service conductors, provided the calculated load does not exceed the ampacity of the service conductors.

Chris

craigo321

3 gang stack

3 gang stack

Inspector turned down and told me the only way he would pass is if I had an engineer write a letter stating that any additional load would not excede 400 amps. I've installed these many times and have never had this come up. My service is only a 200 amp feeding a sub panel and the other slots are empty at this time. The only reason I installed the meter stack in the first place is that the utility company asked for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.