Choke effect...

Status
Not open for further replies.

chevyx92

If you sleeve an insulated ground wire with a piece of EMT say 15' long, do you need to bond both ends of the pipe or does that only apply if the ground is bare?

JohnE

In what application would you sleeve an equipment ground? An equipment ground would be run with circuit conductors in the same raceway. And then you wouldn't be sleeving anything, you'd be installing a raceway wiring method. I'm confused about your 2nd question, but Trevor answered your first accurately.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
chevyx92 said:
What if it's not a GEC? What if it's just an equipment ground?

Then it must be run with the circuit conductors not in a separate conduit by itself.

chevyx92

paul said:
That would need to be bonded to the raceway at both ends. It's easier most times to just locate it in PVC raceway.
Thanks and pvc is normally what I would do but when the specs say " No PVC above slab" then I can't. And they were picky about when our pvc emerged from slab, to immediately change over to EMT. So this is why I was asking. Thanks for the help.

Dave58er

raider1 said:
Actually the choke affect is what you get if you don't bond the GEC at both ends of the ferrous metal raceway.

Chris
Sorry to confuse. We call the threaded fitting that we use to bond the wire to the pipe a choke. Guess the wording doesn't fit the purpose huh?

Dave58er

chevyx92 said:
You mean a grounding bushing?
No, the fitting I'm talking about screws to the end of the conduit like a bushing.
But instead of being wide open it tapers down to a rectangle and has a large bolt that you tighten across the rectangle shaped opening to "choke" the ground wire tight.

IMO it makes for a cleaner install when the wire just comes straight out of the pipe.
Also, it seems like it's easier then wrestling 4/0 into a loop to put on a bonding bushing.

I cant find a picture of one on-line. Probably couldn't put it on my post anyway. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.