Who likes Colorado Jim?

Status
Not open for further replies.

iwire

Staff member
braiansore said:
Are romex staples Listed for use with MC ? I don't think so. How about 110.3(B)? Try some Bridgeport Mc Clips instead.

MC supports are not required to be listed.

You can support MC with a bent nail if you want.

Edit, For that matter NM supports do not need to be listed either.

Last edited:

dduffee260

iwire said:

Bob, for some reason I was always under the impression that the steel staples we not actually for romex or NM cable. I thought to actually be code you were supposed to use the plastic staples with the nails in them.

Have I been grossly misled for all these years !! ??

allenwayne

iwire said:
MC supports are not required to be listed.

You can support MC with a bent nail if you want.

100% correct I until now never looked at 330.30 and all it says is secured,nothing about approved or listed means.I guess I wasted alot of energy carrying around MC straps ,screws and a cordless.
But 334.30 isn`t so liberal.it does list staples as a means of securing and it also says designed for that purpose.So everyone keep the NM staples and don`t use a bent nail on that romex

dlhoule

allenwayne said:
100% correct I until now never looked at 330.30 and all it says is secured,nothing about approved or listed means.I guess I wasted alot of energy carrying around MC straps ,screws and a cordless.
But 334.30 isn`t so liberal.it does list staples as a means of securing and it also says designed for that purpose.So everyone keep the NM staples and don`t use a bent nail on that romex

Are you saying a properly bent nail supporting the MC is not designed for the purpose?;)

iwire

Staff member
dlhoule said:
Are you saying a properly bent nail supporting the MC is not designed for the purpose?;)

No.

He is saying a properly bent nail is not designed for the purpose of supporting NM.

MC has no such stipulation, the supports for MC are not required to be 'designed for the purpose' they only have to support it.

In reality much of what we use for supporting is not listed.

Strut and strut fittings are not listed and most Caddy products are not listed as supports they are listed "for positioning only"

amptech

I have on the desk in front of me a 450 count container of GB 9/16" metal staples(MS450J) that says on the label, "For 3 conductor NM, UF and BX cables." They are what I use for securing MC cable.

As long as it is listed no problem. How about zip ties? Anyone ever use those. I posted this morning with this "listed" approach not even thinking back to a job not even a year ago where I pushed with the foreman and the inspector for allowing the zip ties to support a lot of MC . 110.3(B) is useful in enforcement but the zip ties were quite effective. There was a concern of degredation of the actual tie , but with the plastic's half life of about 20,000 years I figured in a wall what will hurt these any more than the metal CJ's. The technique for using the tie was not as complex as you might think and if you had a parallel run for a communication conduit it got much easier. You could just zip tie to the TSGB16 or SGB16A or whatever else you were using for those risers. If that was not available for use , a drill and some scap mc cuttings with the zip tie would be used to get up the wall (while utilizing the pre-stamped hole in the studs). It was fast effective and appoved by the AHJ. To fasten the assembly there is only a few steps. 1)drill hole. 2)place zip tie around mc to be fastened. 3)Place a piece of discarded MC on opposite side of stud (it has to be a few inches longer than the hole,so it doesn't slip through) placing the pice through your loop than "zip " it up. 4) trim up the zip tie for clean presentation. You can place up to 3 pairs this way to avoid derating. I worked for us and it was quick . Give it a try and stand behind it , your efforts will pay dividends and you can say farewell to that bastard <<<< COLORADO JIM >>>>.

iwire

Staff member
braiansore said:
As long as it is listed no problem.

Brian you have not been paying attention.

Neither NM or MC supports are required to be "listed".

If you can find an NEC section that requires either of these items to be "Listed" please post it here.

NM supports are required to be "designed for the purpose".

In my opinion it would be hard to argue cable ties are not designed for the purpose of supporting cables.

iwire

Staff member
Brian as far as the actual use of cable ties many of do that.

However if you have more than two MCs cable tied up a stud you will very likely have a violation of 300.4(D) which requires a 1.25" set back.

When that happens you need a product like the CJ-6.

Jim W in Tampa

iwire said:
Brian as far as the actual use of cable ties many of do that.

However if you have more than two MCs cable tied up a stud you will very likely have a violation of 300.4(D) which requires a 1.25" set back.

When that happens you need a product like the CJ-6.

CJ6 cost about 75 cents each.Perhaps we been wasting money.I seen the stapled mc for first time this week on a building next to ours.I wondered how they got away with this.Do see one problem in that you could easily damage mc that way.

jkoso

Jim's Capacity

Jim's Capacity

I saw an inspector in St. Louis County fail an inspection for having four pieces of MC in Jim.
He said it was considered bundeling.
Anyone else have any experience with this?

mdshunk

jkoso said:
I saw an inspector in St. Louis County fail an inspection for having four pieces of MC in Jim.
He said it was considered bundeling.
Anyone else have any experience with this?
How can it be a bundle when they are parallel? That inspector will be easily over ruled. Whatever... space your CJ's 25" apart or more, and the so-called "bundling" ruling goes out the window.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Lady Engineer said:
Colorado Jim....Haven't met him...Is he cute??
He looks a lot like this guy:

Caddy1.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.