Protective coating for exothermic welds?!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
All:

Problem: Contractor installed lightning protection system and ran downconductors to earth. As required, they exothermically welded copper down conductor to copper ground rod. However, they then coated weld with Bitumastic 50 (coal tar) from Carboline! They said this is to protect weld from corrosion found in our sandy soil. Never heard of such a thing. Is this a code violation? Will this affect function of ground rod? Do I need to remove and replace?

Thanks!

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
All:

Problem: Contractor installed lightning protection system and ran downconductors to earth. As required, they exothermically welded copper down conductor to copper ground rod. However, they then coated weld with Bitumastic 50 (coal tar) from Carboline! They said this is to protect weld from corrosion found in our sandy soil. Never heard of such a thing. Is this a code violation? Will this affect function of ground rod? Do I need to remove and replace?

Thanks!

Although I don't agree with their reasoning nor see the need for coating the weld for any reason, I can't see that it would change the effectiveness of the rod(s).

Roger

iwire

Staff member
I did the grounding work for a project that specified the use of that exact product on all burried connections. I don't see it as a violation or as Roger mentioned necessary.

bphgravity

See Section 4.3.1 Corrosion Protection and 4.9.12 Down Conductors Entering Corrosive Soil of the NFPA 780 for provisions allowing said protection method.

Mr. Hollland,

thanks for your response. I read both of the sections you mentioned and see where it could be applied. HOwever, I also read 4.13.2.2 - "Rods shall be free of paint or other nonconductive coatings..." I don't know if bitumastic 50 (coal tar) is conductive or not, but I lean toward the non-conductive side.

cycotcskir

We spec all Exothermic welds in my area, all welds also must be protected by bituminous material when installed underground and may be sprayed with galvanizing spray above ground.

That's normal to me, but I know it's not everywhere.

charlie

Charlie,

314.29? what code section is that? 780 or 70?
NFPA 70, I have always thought the term was interesting to describe sand. :smile:

314.29 Exception: Listed boxes and handhole enclosures shall be permitted where covered by gravel, light aggregate, or noncohesive granulated soil if their location is effectively identified and accessible for excavation.

Status
Not open for further replies.