Electrostatic charges and Ground Wires

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cirtcele

I posted this in Grounding thread, but thought I may get some good feedback if I posted here also.

My question is simply, why do manufacturers of home computers (not lap tops) advise that a ground is essential to proper functionality of the operation of their computer.

One theory (with no evidence) is that it allows for dissipation of electrostatic charges created by hard drives and cooling fans??? Aparently ESD will cause computer "gliches."

An obvious reason is that it needs to be grounded for the safety of the user, in case of ground fault situations. But, would this create the problem with the functianality/operation of the computer?

A second question. The NEC allows for GFCI recepticles to be installed in homes without a ground wire. (nob and tube for example.) as long as the recepticle is marked as not grounded. Would a GFCI be adequate for a computer. They would not be appropriate for refrigerators or for freezers. How about a computer???

I would appreciate anyones opinion or any facts that would help me know how to advise clients.

thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.