"in use covers"

Status
Not open for further replies.

sparkync

What's your favorite "in use cover" that looks decent, and is durable. I'm having a problem finding one, that I'm not ashamed to put on a customer's house. Any suggestions will be appreciated. Thanks, Steve...

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I'm with Ray. If you can use an Arlington recessed one you should. IMO all others are grossly ugly.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Oakey said:
Can that box be used in existing applications?

This one can:

DBVR1C-product-new.jpg

The link:

http://www.aifittings.com/whnew74_retrofit.htm

celtic

I just put 3 of these "in" the front of my house.

DBHB1C-on-brick_300.jpg

I think they look awesome compared to the standard "bubble".

I was in a hurry ~ mason was putting bricks up ~ and had to "special order" them...about $15 per.

goldstar

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I was told by one supply house that you should be using either a clear or translucent cover and not a solid (Arlington or others make both). Bees will not nest under clear covers whereas a solid cover will provide them a hot and dark location to nest in the summer. Sounded plausable to me.

Anyone else heard of this or is it just a crock ?

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
I like the Taymac covers but no one stocks, I'll place an order to meet minimums. Taymac has deep and extra deep covers
I install these in vaults, chlorine rooms, etc that have limited public access.
All the in use covers except for Arlington can be easily damaged, as the cover is large and can twisted off.

JohnE

tom baker said:
I like the Taymac covers but no one stocks, I'll place an order to meet minimums. Taymac has deep and extra deep covers
I install these in vaults, chlorine rooms, etc that have limited public access.
All the in use covers except for Arlington can be easily damaged, as the cover is large and can twisted off.

I use both the Taymac and the recessed Arlington. I like the Arlington, better. Tom, which Taymac do you use?

sparkync

Tom, yes so far the Taymac is the best I've found yet. I got it at Home Depot, though it didn't look exactly like it did on the Taymac website. The part over the recpt. was clear also. I'll check a new supply house in my area, they may carry the Arlington brand. The problem with the Arlington brand is that a recent job I had, I had to install quiet a few recptacles around a swimming pool, and they had to be surface mounted on wp boxes. The Taymac brand was the one I chose. It ended up looking pretty nice. I sure didn't want to put the Intermatic with all them tabs. There bad enough when there is just one showing, but when you got a lot of them and they're
right out in the open, next to the customer's guest etc., that's really tacky and it don't do a lot for advertisement for business. I really liked the looks of the Perfect Line on the brochure I have ( it's an old one ). Does anyone know how to get in touch with the manufacture. I'm guessing it is Raco, but so far I haven't got in touch with them. Thanks Steve..

sparkync

Tom, yes so far the Taymac is the best I've found yet. I got it at Home Depot, though it didn't look exactly like it did on the Taymac website. The part over the recpt. was clear also. I'll check a new supply house in my area, they may carry the Arlington brand. The problem with the Arlington brand is that a recent job I had, I had to install quiet a few recptacles around a swimming pool, and they had to be surface mounted on wp boxes. The Taymac brand was the one I chose. It ended up looking pretty nice. I sure didn't want to put the Intermatic with all them tabs. There bad enough when there is just one showing, but when you got a lot of them and they're
right out in the open, next to the customer's guest etc., that's really tacky and it don't do a lot for advertisement for business. I really liked the looks of the Perfect Line on the brochure I have ( it's an old one ). I'm trying to get in touch with Raco to see if they still carry them. Thanks Steve..

sparkync

Yes, Larry this "in use cover" thing is getting to me:)
Actually I didn't know I posted twice until now about 3 hours later. I wondered what was going on when I edited my last post

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
sparkync said:
Yes, Larry this "in use cover" thing is getting to me:)
Actually I didn't know I posted twice until now about 3 hours later. I wondered what was going on when I edited my last post
When editing, you need to remember to hit the 'save' button on the window frame.

I hate it when I hit the 'quote' button and quote myself.

Status
Not open for further replies.