Hot tub

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oakey

I need some input on how to price/install a hot tub.

Located right next to the house it is app' 80 ft of 6/3 rx thru a 4' high crawl space which is pretty clean. 6/3 with a 50 amp breaker to an A/C pullout. 6ft of nonmetallic whip to self contained unit (actually its an HD special). Disconnect I know cant be within 5 ft. My questions are:

1) Am I required to install a 110 v gfi within 10 ft?
2) There is a metal railing ,leader pipe, and metal sliding door within 5 ft of the tub edge, am I correct to say these need to be bonded?
3) How much is a ballpark price for this? $1200.00 maybe?
4) I believe rx is ok for this install?
Thx for any replies

mgmelec

hot tub

hot tub

rx is ok in the home, but you need an insulated ground from disco to hot tub. i like using gfi spa disconect, rather than a/c disco. your price is about where i would be. good luck.
mark

Bob NH

Referencing NEC 2005:

680.42 Outdoor installations. have to comply with the 680 Part II requirement for permanently installed pools.

680.22 (A) Receptacles (2, 3, and 5) require receptacle not less than 10 ft away, require a receptacle, and require GFCI protection

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
If this is a one family dwelling and a self contained unit is a disconnect required?

e2me2

my 2 cents

my 2 cents

infinity said:
If this is a one family dwelling and a self contained unit is a disconnect required?
no not if it is a cord and plug connected unit however if it needs to be wired then yes 680.12 and must be at least 10ft away but within sight

Oakey

e2me2 said:
no not if it is a cord and plug connected unit however if it needs to be wired then yes 680.12 and must be at least 10ft away but within sight
Are you saying that the disconnect must be at least 10 ft away? The disconnectig means on this job is an A/C pullout or maybe a gfi spa disconnect.

Last edited:

e2me2

Oakey said:
Are you saying that the disconnect must be at least 10 ft away? The disconnectig means on this job is an A/C pullout or maybe a gfi spa disconnect.[/QUOTE
sorry 5ft on the disconnect and one outlet no farther than 10

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
e2me2 said:
Oakey said:
Are you saying that the disconnect must be at least 10 ft away? The disconnectig means on this job is an A/C pullout or maybe a gfi spa disconnect.[/QUOTE
sorry 5ft on the disconnect and one outlet no farther than 10

Don't you mean an outlet no closer than 10'?

Riograndeelectric

Oakey, you are coorect on the bonding. all metal will have to be bonded to hotub. Be sure to check for any overhead power /communication lines running above hottub

Be sure to check the manufactor instalation instructions as some hotubs require a full size ground from panel to hotub.

I have wired quite a lot of Hot tubs and I have always had to run ful size ground as this was per manufactours instructions. GFI oultet with in 10 feet. I like to usea spa disconect rather than GFI breaker and Disconnect switch. you should also check with local jurisdiction as to ther requirements for wirng Hot tubs.

dlhoule

"The difference between an electrician who is a wireman and an electrican who is an electrical engineer. They both work at electricity and both may be skillful and able to apply their art but the wireman depends upon the engineer to do the brain work and tell him what to do." ; R.W. Stephenson :confused:

R.W. Stephenson obviously never worked with a skilled electrician.

satcom

"I think you need to have in insullated ground in the dwelling as well as the load side of the disco. I would use pvc or a mc type cable."

Yes, that is the only way we can do a hot tub, no cable, you can use even use smurf, and pull in that insulated ground, hot tubs can be an expensive job, if there is a long run in the basement, and they have the tub away from the house.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
tacomafc said:
I dont think your allowed to use romex in a house. You need to use an insulated ground in a conduit or a MC typ cable. Is this correct?

What Article prohibits NM within a one family dwelling?

Cavie

Oh the joys of pools and spas. Pools require ground wire to be insulated in conduit with the feedeers to the
"Service Disconect". Spas do not. Pool motors direct connected do not require gfi protection. Spas do (680.44) (and remember the definition of OUTLET here) unless it is in combination with a pool. What's up with that?

tacomafc

680.42 (C) Interior wiring to outdoor installations. This artical says that as long as it is recognized in chapter 3 of the code and that it contains a copper equipment grounding conductor that is INSULATED!!!! SO I think you must then run a conduit with a insulated conductor that is not smaller than a 12 awg. Oh yeah and green as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.