Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Bathroom vanity GFI protected receptacles

Bathroom vanity GFI protected receptacles

I have a bathroom vanity with double sinks.I installed a gfi receptacle to the left of one sink and one gfi protected receptacle in the middle of the two sink.There is a bathtub perpendicular to the double vanity sinks.A short wall seperates the vanity from the tub.The wall is 40 inches tall and the same depth as the vanity bottom cabinet.I did not install another receptacle to the right of the second sink because I felt it was to close the bathtub.The electrical inspector told me I needed to have one there.He sited Section 210.52(D).Is there anywhere in the code book that requires a receptacle to be a certain distance away from bathroom tub.Thanks in advance for any help.

Re: Bathroom vanity GFI protected receptacles

Well, 210.52(D) says that you need a receptacle within 3 feet of the sinks. Sounds to me like the one in the center of the two sinks is all you need unless the sinks are more than six feet apart. Since you installed one receptacle for each sink I don't know what more you can be expected to do.

-Hal

The tub / shower space clearance is as specified in 406.8(D). Basically, the outlet can't be inside the tub / shower space.
    Another Al in Minnesota

--- [It is customary for electricians to put two gfci protected receptacles when two sinks are present], but you can--and we have--put one GFCI receptacle between two sinks, if that GFCI protected receptacle meets code requirements.

NEC 210.52 (D) states: If there is more than one washbasin, a receptacle outlet is required adjacent to each basin location. If the basins are in close proximity, one receptacle outlet between the two basins "MIGHT" satisfy this requirement.

I guess the AHJ can make a call on rather the receptacle satifies the requirement.

[ November 13, 2004, 08:16 PM: Message edited by: resistance ]
    Reward the hard worker and drop the buddy buddy slacks!!!

410.4(D) Defines the bathtub and shower zone.

406.8(C) Say's you can't have a receptacle in the bathtub and shower space.

What is the bathtub and shower space?

Edit: One receptacle between the two sinks is acceptable if it's within three feet from the edge of either basin.

[ November 13, 2004, 10:38 PM: Message edited by: physis ]
    Sam, San Francisco Bay Area

Sam,

Using the example in Michael's opening question above, I believe the short, 40 inch tall wall seperating the vanity from the tub has two sides. The wall facing the tub is in the tub space with respect to a receptacle outlet. The wall facing the vanity is not in the tub space.

The tub zone of 410.4(D) applies to certain luminaires.
    Another Al in Minnesota

Originally posted by resistance:
    NEC 210.52 (D) states: If there is more than one washbasin, a receptacle outlet is required adjacent to each basin location.
    That is not exactly what 210.52(D) states, at least not in 2002 or 1999.

2002 NEC
    210.52(D) Bathrooms. In dwelling units, at least one wall receptacle outlet shall be installed in bathrooms within 900 mm (3 ft) of the outside edge of each basin. The receptacle outlet shall be located on a wall or partition that is adjacent to the basin or basin countertop.
    If the basins are in close proximity, one receptacle outlet between the two basins "MIGHT" satisfy this requirement.
    It has to pass as long as the one receptacle outlet is within 36" of the outside edge of both basins.

What do you mean that's not what it states? Make note: That if you have the soft cover 2002, then you will not get as much detail as the hard cover. You have to remember iwire, that the inspector has the right to dictate a ruling based on National, or locality code requirements. In this case, the AHJ may have ruled according to the NEC 210.52(D) explanation of 210.52 (D)--which is in the NEC's 2002 hardcover (The explanation is what I presented. To give light to what the AHJ may have been ruling on. What you wrote is indeed what the 2002 code has written, but if you have the 2002 hardcover, read further, and you will see the explanation, which clearly states what I wrote). So what I stated is fact!

What I stated is true Michael. It is perfectly fine to place a receptacle between two sinks, if the receptacle meets code requirements, and if the AHJ feels it satifies article 210.52(D). {NEC goes futher to say that: If the basins are in close proximity, one receptacle outlet installed between the two basins might (key word=Might) satisfy this requirement.} I'm not saying that you can't put a receptacle between the two sinks. I clearly said this is a practice, and is something we do. But, the AHJ can rule against it, due to article 210.52(D) explanation.
    Reward the hard worker and drop the buddy buddy slacks!!!

What do you mean that's not what it states? Make note: That if you have the soft cover 2002, then you will not get as much detail as the hard cover.
    Are you talking about the difference between the code book and the hand book?

The handbook is not "the code"

You have to remember iwire, that the inspector has the right to dictate a ruling based on National, or locality code requirements.
    Only if the local codes are adopted into law.

Bottom line, what you wrote:

NEC 210.52 (D) states: If there is more than one washbasin, a receptacle outlet is required adjacent to each basin location.
    Is not in the NEC, it is in your words or the words of the handbook authors but it is not code.

The way you write it makes it sound like each basin is required to have it's own dedicated receptacle outlet.

That is not the case the NEC only requires an outlet within 36" of the basin edge, one sink or more it does not matter.

resistance,
    Make note: That if you have the soft cover 2002, then you will not get as much detail as the hard cover.
    where did you get that idea? The NEC is the same no matter what format it is in.

You have to remember iwire, that the inspector has the right to dictate a ruling based on National, or locality code requirements.
    This is not a right he has, it's his job, but 210.52(D) is worded the way Iwire posted it, and this is the same as in any book or CD.

which is in the NEC's 2002 hardcover (The explanation is what I presented. To give light to what the AHJ may have been ruling on. What you wrote is indeed what the 2002 code has written, but if you have the 2002 hardcover, read further, and you will see the explanation, which clearly states what I wrote).
    Why don't you type what the hard cover says so we can see what you are talking about. Are you talking about the handbook? If so anything besides the code wording is opinions and not enforcible.

{NEC goes futher to say that: If the basins are in close proximity, one receptacle outlet installed between the two basins might (key word=Might) satisfy this requirement.}
    Where does it say " Might", it is not used in the article.

Roger