Tapping off existing bedroom circuit

Status
Not open for further replies.

zappy

If I tap off a outlet in the bedroom to add a switch and a light, do I have to now bring the switch and light to code? Like if there's no ground in the outlet, do have have to add a ground for the switch and light? And do i need to add a AFCI breaker. Thank you for your help.

KevinVost

The AHJ would have to decide. Our AHJ stated that any addition to any branch curcuit in a bed room requires AFCI. However we do not require AFCI if you swap the panel out, since you are not adding new wiring.

As far as the ground goes, if there is no ground at the outlet, you would have to protect the circuit with a GFCI and mark it "no equip. ground", and if it was in a bedroom you would have to also provide AFCI on the same circuit. I know there was a post awhile ago regarding AFCI/GFCI on the same circuit and I believe that the discussion was since they protect against two different problems they should work together with no problems:roll:

M. D.

If I tap off a outlet in the bedroom to add a switch and a light, do I have to now bring the switch and light to code? Like if there's no ground in the outlet, do have have to add a ground for the switch and light? And do i need to add a AFCI breaker. Thank you for your help.

IMOP there is no way to add wiring , as described,. to this circuit. What you can do is very limited,.. as it should be.

A bit dated but still worth reading

http://ecmweb.com/mag/electric_article_receptacles/

M. D.

250.130(c) ,... but if you can run the grounding wire back ,.. why not run a new cable ?

M. D.

To confirm something I had stated elsewhere ,.. Mass has in fact deleted 250.130(c),.. Guess they don't want us extending old crappy wiring ?,,, go figure:roll:

Status
Not open for further replies.