L.V. conduit through switchgear

Status
Not open for further replies.

sparky_magoo

I'm on a commercial job with a 1200 amp, three phase service. The switchgear has three banks of six meters each. Each meter is 150 or 200 amps. On the floor, in the middle switchgear bank, a 2" PVC is stubbed up through the foundation. The other end of the PVC is stubbed outside the building into a vault. This conduit was installed for future use and has no application.

My foreman voulunteered this conduit to the landscapers. Foreman told me to put a 90" elbow on the stub-up, under the switchgear, and run a horizontal pipe to outside the switchgear. From there, he wants me to run a pipe to a J-box for the landscape guys.

My question is, can I run a low voltage conduit through switchgear. I told the foreman I was going to go look up the leagallity of this and he said "don't worry about it".

I couldn't think of the violation off the top of my head, but it seems wrong. I found something else to do for the rest of the day.

Jim W in Tampa

sparky_magoo said:
I'm on a commercial job with a 1200 amp, three phase service. The switchgear has three banks of six meters each. Each meter is 150 or 200 amps. On the floor, in the middle switchgear bank, a 2" PVC is stubbed up through the foundation. The other end of the PVC is stubbed outside the building into a vault. This conduit was installed for future use and has no application.

My foreman voulunteered this conduit to the landscapers. Foreman told me to put a 90" elbow on the stub-up, under the switchgear, and run a horizontal pipe to outside the switchgear. From there, he wants me to run a pipe to a J-box for the landscape guys.

My question is, can I run a low voltage conduit through switchgear. I told the foreman I was going to go look up the leagallity of this and he said "don't worry about it".

I couldn't think of the violation off the top of my head, but it seems wrong. I found something else to do for the rest of the day.

What makes you think it will be low voltage ?Other than closing off the end with a cap i am fine with it.

sparky_magoo

Jim W in Tampa said:
What makes you think it will be low voltage ?Other than closing off the end with a cap i am fine with it.
It will be low voltage wires controllings sprinkler sloenoids. I couln't think of a violation, but it seems wrong.

Edited for spelling.

Jim W in Tampa

sparky_magoo said:
It will be low voltage wires controllings sprinkler sloenoids. I couln't think of a violation, but it seems wrong.

Edited for spelling.

Where will they mount the 24 volt transformer ? Or is this the feed to a time clock that has internal transformer.For now its an empty conduit so no violation.

sparky_magoo

Time Clock

Time Clock

Comming out of the switchgear housing, I will run a horizontal pipe into a 6"x6"x4" box. I will then pipe up vertically into the time clock.

sparky_magoo

No foul

No foul

My foreman didn't trade anything. He thinks the install will be O.K.
There will be L.V. wires running through the pipe which passes through the switchgear. Is this allowed?

Jim W in Tampa

sparky_magoo said:
There will be L.V. wires running through the pipe which passes through the switchgear. Is this allowed?
Depends on what voltage the insulation is of the low volt wires.Personally i see danger involved if the 24 comes near 120

Onitram

sparky_magoo said:

Hi Sparky

Better run another conduit for the other purpose, your forman needs to grow up. if is inside 1200 amps meter bank it is dangerous, one day it will need service and someone will get hurt, burned fooling around with, keep safe.........Onitram in Chicago

ramsy

Roger Ruhle dba NoFixNoPay
Occupation
Service Electrician 2020 NEC
sparky_magoo said:
What is the rule?
It seems OK here. NEC 725-26 if ~ 30vac, 725-54(b) if ~30vdc
Art.100 for switchgear says "..The assembly may include control and auxiliary devices."

But then 110.34(F) says
"Pipes or ducts foreign to the electrical installation and requiring periodic maintenance or whose malfunction would endanger the operation of the electrical system shall not be located in the vicinity of the service equipment, metal enclosed power switchgear, or industrial control assemblies. ..Piping and other facilities shall not be considered foreign if provided for fire protection of the electrical installation."

ramsy

Roger Ruhle dba NoFixNoPay
Occupation
Service Electrician 2020 NEC
sparky_magoo said:
Foreman told me to put a 90" elbow on the stub-up, under the switchgear, ..for the landscape guys.
If foreskin can't stub up next to gear, as you suggest, you may hear something like, "the cost-saving violation is an acceptable risk."

I got this a few times with my last commercial contractor. Some formen explained it to me nicely, saying "each inspector has a narrow range of pet peaves, which are predictable the next time around."

In another situation a different formen said nothing, then our jobsite super came by to watch me, chew my ass about something he didn't like, then said, "Oh by the way this shop doesn't give a $#!+ about your little observations."

The super's attitude effectivly delivered the message, and the body language was universally translated for any state of mind, IQ, parolee, college grad, hung over, or sober.

I usually get a nice stroking for my cooperative attitude when lay off time arrives, maybe so I leave feeling good about myself, and keep those discrepencies in my hip pocket.

Status
Not open for further replies.