Thread: Separation of Gas and Electric in ditch

Separation of Gas and Electric in ditch

I can't find a separation requirement for a natural gas line and underground service entrance conductors. Can they run in the same ditch?
    :confused:
    Texas CBO - 2000 ICC, 2002 NEC

Re: Separation of Gas and Electric in ditch

Gas lines should be at 30 inches, so the electric cables should be under that elevation by six inches.

Excel Energy has a standard in their "Blue" book. I don't have mine handy but I believe they require 12" seperation. This is ussually done by "Shelving" the trench with a backhoe so that the seperation is vertical. At least thats how my company does it.

Secondary cables at 6 inches. Primary cables at 12 inches.

3 years ago in VA there was a residential property where the utility feeder and gas crossed
    in the same ditch. The Utility cable faulted at some point and the gas line ruptured. Blew one house off the foundation, two kids were blown out the bay window into the shrubs, father was badly burnt and the mother was killed. The two utilities were finger pointing, course the courts settled the case
    Brian John
    Leesburg, VA

In my experience seperation is determined by the utility companies that serve the area. You can go online and visit their web site or find a phone number so you can call a service planner or inspector. Some utility companies, like SCE, have downloadable versions of their underground service requirements.

In Westchester County NY, Con Edison requires all gas and electrical to maintain at least a 12 inch separation, no exceptions, which is enforced by the electrical inspector.

Pierre

Originally posted by gent:
    . . . separation requirement for a natural gas line and underground service entrance conductors.
    You say service entrance conductors but I am assuming you are talking about service conductors. The NESC would be the standard and Rule 353 would apply. Rule 353A1 states "These rules apply to a radial separation of supply and communication conductors from each other and from other underground structures such as sewers, water lines, gas and other fuel lines, building foundations, steam lines, etc. when separation is equal to or greater then 12 inches.
    NOTE: For radial separation less than 12 inches see Rule 354."

Rule 354 covers random lay and refers back to Rule 353 for gas lines. Prior to the 2002 edition of the NESC, random separation was permitted as long as all parties agreed. The previous edition was the 1997 edition. :cool:
    Charlie Eldridge, Indianapolis, Utility Power Guy
    Responses based on the 2011 NEC, unless stated otherwise.