Official interpitation of the code

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cavie

Who does one go about getting an "Official" interpitation of the code. I have heard roomers of a $25.00 Fee? To who and how? This range thing is making me crazy..er.

JohnE

In MA, the Board of Fire Preventin Regulations will render an interpretation. Questions must be submitted in such a way that a yes or no answer can be provided. Otherwise through NFPA as Don answered.

iwire

Staff member
John I had thought of that as well. :)

Cavie you should check and see if you have any local amendments to see if like MA 'official interpretations' must come from the NFPA or your AHJ.

For us in MA it is our Board of Fire Prevention Regulations that makes official interpretations, of course they are only official interpretations until they cross the state line than they are meaningless. :)

Our MA amendment

90.6. Revise to read as follows:

90.6 Interpretations and Appeals.

To promote uniformity of interpretation and application of the provisions of this Code, interpretations may be requested from the Board of Fire Prevention Regulations. Requests for interpretation shall be in the form of a question that can receive a ?Yes? or ?No? answer. This in no way supersedes the right of any individual who is aggrieved by the decision of an Inspector of Wires to appeal from that decision to the Board of Electricians? Appeals in accordance with M.G.L. c. 143 ?3P. The Board of Fire Prevention Regulations shall, upon the request of the Board of Electricians? Appeals, render interpretations to the Board of Electricians? Appeals..

bphgravity

Cavie,

You can obtain an interpretation from BOAF or the IAEI that will usually settle any disagreement or at least give you something to work from. They also have an archive of previously answered questions that can be searched through. Another option would be to contact Mark Ode from UL. He will usually e-mail you a response within a couple of days.

None of these options are "formal" but in many cases that level of interpretation is not needed or required.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Bryan,
All of those sources are opinions and are no more valid than those expressed on this forum.
Don

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
Re: Official interpitation of the code

Cavie said:
Who does one go about getting an "Official" interpretation of the code.
Just post the question here. You'll know you're getting the "right answer," since we never disagree. :lol: :lol:

bphgravity

I was responding to a friend and colleague here in the SW florida area. I was just pointing out that there are local sources for comments to a code question that hold some weight when making interpretations. Save for an "official" and formal interpretation from the NFPA, one from BOAF would do just as good as far as my and most probably Cavie's CBO is concerned.

cowboyjwc

Staff member
I'll do it for $100

I'll never lie to you, but I may give you bad information.

The opinons here are strictly that of the writer and may have nothing to do with the NEC or any other relivent codes. :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.