I.C.C. Inspector Certification (E2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ibew441dc

I have had some time off from work lately......thanks to a booming economy, and the thought crossed my mind to take a shot at an ICC Commercial Inspector Cert. What the heck, if I'm not ready now, I don't think I'll ever be. I don't have any immediate intention to hang up the tools so to speak, but I welcome the challenge.

Who here has taken the E1, E2, and/or E3, ICC exams?

Any pointers?

Any Shockers?

Just to make it more exciting I scheduled my E2 Commercial exam yesterday, to be taken on Friday the 24th. Like I said, if I'm not ready now.......

You will find that those tests are not too difficult, especially the first two.

From the way you present yourself on this site, I cannot see that you would have any issues with passing.

Buy the Plan Review test guide and you will be properly prepared to take the tests.

Two of my daughters live in Rancho Santa Margarita. I believe that is fairly close to you. I will be visiting in late June. Maybe we can get together one day while I am out there?

I am sorry to hear how slow it is out there. My girls tell me the housing forclosure issue is really bad.

ibew441dc

You will find that those tests are not too difficult, especially the first two.

From the way you present yourself on this site, I cannot see that you would have any issues with passing.

Buy the Plan Review test guide and you will be properly prepared to take the tests.

Have you taken all three exams?
As far as difficulty, I have heard similar feedback from others.

Is there an Electricians Certification requirement in New York, if so was it easier than the ICC exams? CA's Electrician Certification is fair at best, a non electrician who did some quick study could pass. I am also Certified in WA, that test was much more challenging all around, it definitely made ya think.

ibew441dc

Two of my daughters live in Rancho Santa Margarita. I believe that is fairly close to you. I will be visiting in late June. Maybe we can get together one day while I am out there?

I am sorry to hear how slow it is out there. My girls tell me the housing forclosure issue is really bad.

Ranch Santa Margarita is a stone throw away...maybe a little further but its pretty close. From the sounds of it you've probably been to CA before, especially in June leave your shoes and long pants at home cause it gets warm down here. If timing works out in June when your out, I'd welcome a live bout of So. CAL CODE KARATE:mad::grin:

As far as the economy....I think its still in pretty bad shape around the nation... I have some things cooking right now, they should come together in the next week or two. And Housing is a HUGE issue right now...we'll see what happens.

westernexplorer

I have taken all 3 and can tell you that they are just a step above the CA Journeyman Certification exam, which I have taken as well. But not much harder......the E-3 Plans Examiner test is a little harder.........

Have you taken all three exams?
As far as difficulty, I have heard similar feedback from others.

Is there an Electricians Certification requirement in New York, if so was it easier than the ICC exams? CA's Electrician Certification is fair at best, a non electrician who did some quick study could pass. I am also Certified in WA, that test was much more challenging all around, it definitely made ya think.

Most of New York is an unlicensed state, if your dog can pull wire, he has a job.
There are no (ZERO) requirements or qualifications for electrical inspectors, no test, no certificates required as per the state...only a heartbeat is required. This may change in the future, the local municipalities are the only ones who may require some kind of qualification.

Ranch Santa Margarita is a stone throw away...maybe a little further but its pretty close. From the sounds of it you've probably been to CA before, especially in June leave your shoes and long pants at home cause it gets warm down here. If timing works out in June when your out, I'd welcome a live bout of So. CAL CODE KARATE:mad::grin:

When I make the plans, I will let you know the dates. You will recognize me, as my kimona is red and yellow (05)... :cool:

ibew441dc

Official Certified Commercial Inspector

Official Certified Commercial Inspector

But not much harder......the E-3 Plans Examiner test is a little harder.........

I agree, I just got back from taking the E2 ICC Exam. PASSED!!!!:smile::cool:

I would say it is definitely a test that would weed out the non electrician (it was better than CA Electricians Certification). It had a couple of good ones on there, but all and all it wasn't bad.

ibew441dc

When I make the plans, I will let you know the dates. You will recognize me, as my kimona is red and yellow (05)... :cool:

My kimona is ....ummm:-? well I gotta get a knew one from sustaining damage......but my head band is red and yellow(05) so I can keep up with your moves........My sword is made up of a precious metal that emits a black and red glow(08) and its slayed many-a-challenger.....:grin:

radiopet

I also have all three of the ICC Certifications. If you passed the E2 I would suggest you jump right in and do the plans examiner one before your brain festers.....not much difference in the two really as long as you can pick out some things on a plan you should be fine.

ibew441dc

I also have all three of the ICC Certifications. If you passed the E2 I would suggest you jump right in and do the plans examiner one before your brain festers.....not much difference in the two really as long as you can pick out some things on a plan you should be fine.

I think I am going to do that(take the E3). I haven't taken the E1 yet but I want to get the ICC Electrical Inspector Credential.

I do not have a 2006 IRC and I am a little hesitant on buying one because there is already an 09 version. Do you think it is necessary for the exam or is a firm grasp on the NEC good enough. Don't get me wrong I am not holding the 2006 IRC as being less important.

In CA we have the Legacy Codes (basically because we don't go by the latest and greatest) and the CA Residential Inspector Cert is on the 2007 CA Electrical Code (basically 05 NEC) and looks like it is equal to the National Exam E1. I am not taking the CA versions because I want to test my knowledge against a test applicable to the country. In the event that I want to be an inspector in CA, I may have to request transferability with from the E1 and E2.

ibew441dc

I believe most of the test questions (there are only 50), are based on the '08 NEC.

These are the 3 ICC National Exams I am referring to. Tests may have increased in size since you had them?

E1 Residential Electrical Inspector

60 multiple-choice questions — Open book—2-hour time limit

References
2006 International Residential Code?
2005 National Electrical Code(optional secondary reference)

E2 Commercial Electrical Inspector

80 multiple-choice questions — Open book—3-1/2-hour time limit
References
2008 National Electrical Code

E3 Electrical Plans Examiner
70 multiple-choice questions — Open book—3-1/2-hour time limit

References
2006 International Building Code?, chapters 7 & 10
2008 National Electrical Code

The following are CA state specific but are transferable with the National Exams (when appropriate application is submitted)

J2 California Residential Electrical Inspector
60 multiple-choice questions — Open book—2-hour time limit
References
2007 California Electrical Code

I2 California Commercial Electrical Inspector
80 multiple-choice questions — Open book—3-1/2-hour time limit
References
2007 California Electrical Code

2007 CEC is basically the 2005 NEC with very little amendment.

construct

I do not have a 2006 IRC and I am a little hesitant on buying one because there is already an 09 version. Do you think it is necessary for the exam or is a firm grasp on the NEC good enough. Don't get me wrong I am not holding the 2006 IRC as being less important.

If you are familiar with the "Dwelling Unit" requirements of the NEC, you shouldn't need the 2006 IRC. Outside of one or two variations, the electric chapters of the 2006 IRC (chapters 33 thru 42) are pretty much word for word from the 2005 NEC. Some people prefer the IRC for reference on Residential because it reads like a 'code' and not like a 'standard'.

Help

Help

I live in Utah and I recently took the ICC E1 exam for the second time. I got a 57, the first time I got a 70. How do I get training that will help me pass?? The city I work for doesn't like to spend a whole lot of money helping me with training. The first time I went to take the test I wasn't really prepared, the city had me taking three exams at the same time so I wasn't focused just on the electrical. This time I felt ready.:-? I could make it through more than half of the flashcards without the book. I also found a Code Calcs class to take that helped me greatly. Can anyone help?? Where do I go from here?? I went from Residential Draftsman to building inspector and have had no one to train me or show me how to get trained. Thanks to anyone that can help me.

Status
Not open for further replies.