Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Electric Code

Electric Code

Is the electrical code classified as a building code in your state?

Re: Electric Code

That is an interesting question and I don't know how to answer it. Since it is part of the international codes and will be part of the set of the NFPA building codes, I would say yes. Doesn't it become part of the building when it is used (normally)? Indiana has adopted the International Residential Code with the Indiana amendments and changed all the electrical rules to match the Indiana Electrical Code (the NEC with the Indiana Amendments); that makes the IRC electrical sections part of the building code.

If you are talking about wiring an outside feeder circuit, installing transformers, signs, circus and event wiring, etc. outside, then is it part of the "building code"? :confused:
    Charlie Eldridge, Indianapolis, Utility Power Guy
    Responses based on the 2011 NEC, unless stated otherwise.

Here in Florida, we have what is called the "Unified Florida Building Code" which includes the NEC and the other various trade codes.
    Bryan P. Holland, MCP

the 2000 international bulding code (IBC)DOES NOT
    reference NFPA 70 (NEC)?????? GE0

[ March 06, 2003, 11:01 AM: Message edited by: vanwalker ]

I think it is a mistake on the part of NFPA to classify the NEC as a building Code. When developing building codes the NFPA should reference the NFPA 70 and leave it stand alone as the Electric Code.
    It would be better for the NEC if all states adopting building codes would reference NFPA 70 directly as part of a states construction code verses the states adopting building codes that reference NFPA 70.

When developing building codes the NFPA should reference the NFPA 70 and leave it stand alone as the Electric Code.
    I think that is the way the NFPA will do it. However, the "Internatinal Codes" want to have their own electrical code. I suspect the NFPA is developing their own building codes as a result of the International Codes developing their own electrical codes.
    Charlie Eldridge, Indianapolis, Utility Power Guy
    Responses based on the 2011 NEC, unless stated otherwise.

How do you make the states understand the electric code is not a building code? States that adopt model building codes should do so, without changing the status of the NEC.

The regulations are not written the way act 45 was written and passed,there over 500 pages of commentery on it , bocas people are telling the department of labor and industry how to write it. I feel they have pulled a bait and switch on us,also I feel the icc electrical code will give the building inspector authority over the electrical inspector they shouldnt have. :mad: I can see the code working in hi population areas but in the rural areas between the larger cities and colledge towns who will and how is it going to be enforced , maybee things will be worse than what we have now!If you create enough red tape bureacratic bs people will try to avoid it no permits ,no inspections etc.

For any interested parties, here is a Link to info on the NFPA "C3 Comprehensive Consensus Codes".

http://www.nfpa.org/BuildingCode/index.asp

Bill

[ March 06, 2003, 06:02 PM: Message edited by: bill addiss ]

In my city, the electrical code and building code are seprate documents.
    The Building Commissioner is the head of all building departments,including the electrical. Their separate, but tied to each other.

Russ
    Russ Burbank IL