new comericial building

Status
Not open for further replies.
We are installing 200amp service to this commercial building with a 100apm sub panel in the office. the buildings are connected and there is space to run the feeds for both services inside the wall. My question is dose code allow you to run the feeds on the inside of the wall for the 100 amp service or dose it have to be trayed out side over to the service I have checked the code book and found zipo on the subject

bdarnell

Occupation
Retired Engineer
Re: new comericial building

If I understand your post, you are installing a feeder to a sub-panel. As long as it's properly protected and sized, it can be installed in the wall, ceiling, floor or however you desire. There is no requirement for it to be exposed.

thank you we have been racking our brain looking in the code book if you could where in the 2005 code book can i refer to this in case we get called on it by inspection

haskindm

Look at 230.70. This requires that a disconnect be located "nearest the point of entrance of the service conductors". After this disconnect we no longer have service entrance conductors, we have feeders and/or branch circuits. Because of this requirement it is often necessary to run "service entrance conductors" on the outside of a building until we reach a point where we can conveniently locate our service disconnect. There is no general restriction on installing feeders or branch circuits in concealed locations. You will not find a section of the code that specifically states that this wiring may be installed concealed, but there is no prohibition against it. Each wiring method has instructions on how and where it may be installed and where it may not be installed. The blanket permission you are seeking does not exist.

stars13bars2

Like the others have said, if you install a main breaker or disconnect at the meter you can then install feeders to the panels. Or you could just hit your 200 amp panel straight from the meter if it is mounted directly behind it, and use a 100 amp breaker and feeder to the sub panel. Is this a single phase or three phase installation?

Thank you all I wasent quite sure I had found some code articial 545.8 about protection and not much more, also 545.9/b but outside of that you are all right nothing general as to the running of a raceway to the sub pannel. So thanks once more for all your help... Phoenixthewolf aka Joe

celtic

Originally posted by phoenixthewolf:
We are installing 200amp service to this commercial building with a 100apm sub panel in the office.
Originally posted by phoenixthewolf:
Thank you all I wasent quite sure I had found some code articial 545.8 ...
What are you talking about???
A commercial building (generally covered by 300) or a manufactured building (Special Occupancies ~ 545)???

I first would like to say My Mistake ment 630 its a 1000 amp welding shop also commerical is not my bag and residential is dont care for commerical never did got suckered in by family on this one so any help on this 1000 amp would be a welcome help. We all have our strong and week points mine is commmerical anythig would be helpful because to be honest I dont have a clue thanks for the responce anyway celtic

[ February 24, 2006, 11:49 PM: Message edited by: phoenixthewolf ]

benaround

Phoenixthewolf,

"to be honest I don't have a clue"

Maybe it's time to tell the family the same thing, for the good of all.

Status
Not open for further replies.