Wiring Requirement for a 4 Story Hotel

Status
Not open for further replies.
We are bidding a 4 story hotel in San Luis Obispo. The structure is wood construction. We just finished a 3 story hotel in Atascadero, CA where we were allowed to wire just the rooms with NM cable (Romex). All other areas were either wired with MC cable (concealed) or EMT (where exposed). Both of these projects have been designed by the same Achitect and Electrical Engineer.
My Question: Can we apply the same wiring methods, as used on the 3-story hotel, on a 4 story hotel?

Fulthrotl

~Autocorrect is My Worst Enema.~
We are bidding a 4 story hotel in San Luis Obispo. The structure is wood construction. We just finished a 3 story hotel in Atascadero, CA where we were allowed to wire just the rooms with NM cable (Romex). All other areas were either wired with MC cable (concealed) or EMT (where exposed). Both of these projects have been designed by the same Achitect and Electrical Engineer.
My Question: Can we apply the same wiring methods, as used on the 3-story hotel, on a 4 story hotel?

shooting from the hip, i don't believe so... something comes to mind about
commercial occupancies above 3 stories.....

raider1

Staff member
something comes to mind about
commercial occupancies above 3 stories.....

The restriction to the use of NM cable in buildings greater than 3 stories in height was eliminated in the 2002 NEC.

334.10(3) permits NM cable to be installed in buildings permitted to be of type III, IV, and V construction.

Chris

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor

As Raider mentioned you need to know how the building is classified. I would call the building department and ask the AHJ. Remember NM cannot be used in dropped ceilings in other than dwellings and areas of the hotel that may be considered as assembly areas of art. 518

Twoskinsoneman

Occupation
Facility Senior Electrician
The restriction to the use of NM cable in buildings greater than 3 stories in height was eliminated in the 2002 NEC.

334.10(3) permits NM cable to be installed in buildings permitted to be of type III, IV, and V construction.

Chris

Chris hit the nail on the head. Something I learn from Ryan J on a MH DVD is that basically if you have a building where the structure is built of combustables such as wood you are not gonna have a class I or II building. If the structure is entirely concrete/steel then it is possible you could have a class I or II

mthead

Wiring Requirement for a 4 Story Hotel

As stated by the others-it will be a bldg dept/fire marshall call as to what "construction type " classification applies to the job in question-from that point you can determine what the allowable wiring methods are--also taking into account the 'x' factors of areas classified as public assembly and dropped cielings[where we all know RX can not be used currently]...and any other possible ammendments,addendums,exceptions.., etc...,that may raise their ugly heads.

As an electrical inspector though I must admit that there is something that puzzles me regarding building classification determination.
It seems that buildings constructed of "COMBUSTIBLE MATERIALS"-i.e.wood are classified so as to allow for the use of NM cable .
I believe buildings that are of steel,or cement or similar construction components would not fall under the classification allowing for NM cable use.
An initial reading of the nec re;this would seem puzzling because of NM's history in Fire situations and the assumption tat a wood frame bldg would naturally be more fire friendly than a steel or cement bldg..

Woah-I'm out of breadth.---Now heres a question-
So is this rule actually just one of those NEC backdoor methods of achieving a desired result?
Do you think the rule was worded as is because the boys up high in all their wisdom were actually taking into account the fact that "Wood Frame construction is no longer ,and has not been for a number of years, a method of construction used in construction of multi story bldgs"?--Sort of a hollow rule in effect?

Status
Not open for further replies.