MC Anti-shorts

Status
Not open for further replies.

peter d

Ok, I learned something new today. Still, I don't see the issue. I do see why squaring the end of the cable is important, but I can assure you it's almost never done.

celtic

peter d said:
Ok, I learned something new today. Still, I don't see the issue. I do see why squaring the end of the cable is important, but I can assure you it's almost never done.

I'm pretty sure of that myself, too.
I've never seen ANYONE go to any get effort on a MC whip...roto-split, redhead, next!

I use the Klein 1104's when the cable is to big for my roto-split...hacksaw/bandsaw/sawzall, whatever after that.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Once had a job spec that required the use of Rotosplits for all cable stripping. Hacksaws weren't permitted.

iwire

Staff member
peter d said:
Still, I don't see the issue. I do see why squaring the end of the cable is important, but I can assure you it's almost never done.

Pete you know I agree with you.

If squaring the end is important you would think it might be on some labeling with the connectors and MC.

iwire

Staff member
celtic said:
hacksaw/bandsaw/sawzall, whatever after that.

LOL.

Yeah all bets are off with big MC.:grin:

How many of you use red heads with large MC?

2-4, 4/0-4 etc.

For me it would be not often.

yanici

Occupation
Old Retired Master/Journeyman Electrician
iwire said:
LOL.

2-4, 4/0-4 etc.

Paint a coffee cup red for the big stuff and slide it on. :grin:

peter d

iwire said:

I'll wrap some tape around the conductors over the mylar jacket and move on. I do this more to comply with the company policy than anything else. I am not worried about large MC without redheads. ;)

celtic

iwire said:
LOL.

2-4, 4/0-4 etc.

I do.
They do make a large sized redhead...sometimes, it just isn't large enough...so 2 or 3 get jammed in, with the edges overlapping.

...and if I have big one, but need smaller ones...out comes Mr.1104 for a "custom" fit ;)

Chris6245

georgestolz said:
Blueheels, thanks for the reply. :cool:

What type of connectors and stripping method were used in that case?
Still waiting to hear the answer to this...Just finished a job with over 600 MC terminations. Not a single problem and had 5 different people doing terminations. Yes most had anti-shorts in them but I guarantee at least 100 didn't. I only had 200 anti-shorts on the job and was never asked for more.

mdshunk

The RotoSplit people make a thing that looks like a Skil saw for taking the armor off large MC. Lord, have mercy.

rsk-125-4c.jpg

blueheels2

Occupation
Electrical contractor
damaged installation

damaged installation

We pulled out the wires and taped up each conductor individually, per instructions by my boss. As to method of splitting I believe he was using a rotosplit. I bend the cable, cut it with my dikes then clean up the ends afterwards. Occasionally, I will nick a conductor and I just cut it off or start over. I've never had any problems using this method, and I always use redheads.

celtic

mdshunk said:
The RotoSplit people make a thing that looks like a Skil saw for taking the armor off large MC. Lord, have mercy.

One time :roll: I was w/o a hacksaw, sawzall, or bandsaw and had a giant cable to land.
What's a man to do?
Follow this "act":
1 - get a cordless drill
2 - get 1/4x20 nut and bolt
3 - get the "regular" roto-split
4 - remove blade or grab a spare from handle
5 - attach blade to 1/4 x 20 set-up
6 - put #5 into your drill

Cut-off saw!

Be super careful here....no blade guard for you, your fingers or the offending material. Crude, but effective....also works for cutting out those metal bar hangers.

mdshunk

celtic said:
Be super careful here....no blade guard for you, your fingers or the offending material. Crude, but effective....also works for cutting out those metal bar hangers.
:grin: :grin:
That sounds like the beginnings of one of those grizzly OSHA safety posters. Do what you gotta do, brother.

celtic

mdshunk said:
:grin: :grin:
That sounds like the beginnings of one of those grizzly OSHA safety posters. Do what you gotta do, brother.

I think I've done it 3x ....what a fool I am!
Ya mess with the bull, you get the horns.
I keep an extra hacksaw in my truck now :D

Rockyd

Occupation
Retired after 40 years as an electrician.
Marc's Pic in #51 is a real roto splitter. Kills the skill, and moves the efficiency right on up the line!

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager
Blueheels, I appreciate your response, sorry for my delay in saying so. :)

I have to say, I think it all comes down to the attention paid by the installer, regardless of the stripping method/use of redheads.

Since this discussion, I've started squaring the ends of my MC, I'd never given it much thought. Kinda funny, since I'd always spent extra time squaring up flex but never carried that over to MC.

I always look at the spot where the rotosplitter did it's magic, and I don't believe I've seen the mylar scratched, much less the conductors. On hospital grade, I've managed to nail the redundant bonding conductor 33% of the time. Since hospital grade is more of a PITA to strip, it goes with the territory.

I don't use redheads. I gave it a shot since this thread started, and didn't really see the point, once I started squaring the head. To each their own, I haven't seen anything really compelling me to change.

JMO,

iwire

Staff member
georgestolz said:
On hospital grade, I've managed to nail the redundant bonding conductor 33% of the time.

Rotos have an adjustable depth stop.:cool:

I don't use redheads. I gave it a shot since this thread started, and didn't really see the point, once I started squaring the head. To each their own, I haven't seen anything really compelling me to change.

JMO,

Wow I am very surprised, your right 'to each their own' unless you have a boss like me who says use or leave.:D

I can see no reason not to use them, but hey I have only been working with MC for 20 years. Maybe you have not had the joy of fixing an MC shorted at the connector after the building has been finished.

Trust me the short time saved by not using the red head will be quickly eaten up by one short circuit.

JMO, Bob

iwire said:
I can see no reason not to use them, but hey I have only been working with MC for 20 years. Maybe you have not had the joy of fixing an MC shorted at the connector after the building has been finished.

Trust me the short time saved by not using the red head will be quickly eaten up by one short circuit.
JMO, Bob

Ah, the lessions learned over time make one in the end a real pro.

Who says the wisdom learned over time doesn't make one smarter?

blueheels2

Occupation
Electrical contractor
I don't mean to down anybody for not using them. I just know if I don't use them every one would trip. I guess it just gives me peace of mind.

Status
Not open for further replies.