Electrical Room Egress Doors

Status
Not open for further replies.

rgranger

I am unable to find any reference to electrical room opening requirements in the NEC with regards to equipment sizes going into the room. We are working on a project that the gear is 36" wide but my door opening is only 34" when the stop is considered. The door is poured in place and the general contractor is telling me that it is my problem for not noticing this before the door was placed. I consider it a design flaw and am trying to find some documentation stating that the doorway must be wide enought for the equipment that is being installed. What if the gear has an issue and needs replacing down the road?

iwire

Staff member
I consider it a design flaw and am trying to find some documentation stating that the doorway must be wide enought for the equipment that is being installed. What if the gear has an issue and needs replacing down the road?

I agree it is a design flaw but it is not covered by the NEC.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
What if the gear has an issue and needs replacing down the road?
You bring a structural engineer to the party, and get verification that widening the opening will not adversely impact the structure. Then you break out the sledge hammers (or other implements of destruction).

As Bob said, the NEC is silent on this issue.

inspector 102

Charlie B - Is your reference of "implements of destruction" from the classic song Alices's Restuarant by Arlo Guthrie. What a classic and the local radio station plays it every Thanksgiving. Sorry to get of post, but that song cracks me up.

masterinbama

Then you must submit all data the the local AHJ complete with 8X10 color glossies with paragraphs on the back. And see what they say. Unless I am missing something the problem will only arise when and if the gear ever has to be replaced.

Taking for granted the gear is already in the room.

I am unable to find any reference to electrical room opening requirements in the NEC with regards to equipment sizes going into the room. We are working on a project that the gear is 36" wide but my door opening is only 34" when the stop is considered. The door is poured in place and the general contractor is telling me that it is my problem for not noticing this before the door was placed. I consider it a design flaw and am trying to find some documentation stating that the doorway must be wide enought for the equipment that is being installed. What if the gear has an issue and needs replacing down the road?

If the door is the door to the working space, the NEC does speak about the size requirement. If it is not the door to the work space, the building code takes over. The size of the door as per the building code will be decided on upon many different conditions that exist where the door is actually located (such as an egress, etc...)

Most likely it is a design flaw and I would not be too concerned. I have seem instances where this has happened before...they just knock the wall down. :cool:

rgranger

Egress Door

Egress Door

Thanks for the input gang. Unfortunately, the gear is not in the room yet and if I take a sledge hammer to the wall I will open up another can of worms with the laborers union :) I will just fight the hard fight....thanks again!

Is the entire room poured in place walls?? or Just the exterior. Typically we have the framers leave us an opening on the inside of the building since the gear usually comes after the project is in full swing. They then finish the wall behind our gear and we install.

IMO drywall and a few studs are easier to demo than a poured door opening. If you submitted on the gear to the General and got approval on it I would go back to them and ask why they approved something that would not fit through the door.

And maybe cap off the conversation with "Hey, I'm an Electrician NOT a Magician."

Your actions should reflect if you want to do any work for them in the future :)

Status
Not open for further replies.