To high?

Status
Not open for further replies.

emahler

We used to charge alot...But I got tired of it...This is working out much better. Much simpler. and I can sleep better at night

Last edited:

celtic

emahler said:
Now find me a good technician who is willing to work hard for $50k a year, and I'll hire him 10 mins ago.

Is a "technician" what we are calling electricians these days?

emahler

celtic said:
Is a "technician" what we are calling electricians these days?

Yeah, it's PC....think Sanitary Engineer.

Besides, electricians are neanderthals who don't charge enough...technicians are high tech and expensive.

Oakey

$$$ Is what we are talking here guys
I just wanted opinions on my price given the fact that I've lost a few to many jobs recently and it's been a slow winter. And Mahler, thanks for the laf I needed it today.Al Goldstein LOL
Now as far as the wife getting health Ins...I have sort of a Peggy Bundy situation, but thats a whole diff subject.

Last edited:

emahler

oakey, where in NJ are you.

From mile 100ish to 129ish, you are in the ballpark. it's a cheap ballpark, but that's what it is.

from 130ish to 150ish, you're a little low.

from 150ish to 165ish, you're way low

from 165ish to NY state, you are probably high.

south of mile 100, you'd be better off scraping barnacles than trying to make money doing electrical work.

For this project we'd be around $2000-$2500. Heck we'd be at $1400-$1500 just for the panel change. Then again we'd use SQ D QO and you would never know we were there. But there will always be someone cheaper.

A guy who knows the game really well once told me....if you are doing residential new construction/renovations, you are dealing with the bottom of the barrel. Get used to it. (or something along those lines)

the $$$$ are that there is no way someone can legitmately do it for less than you. They either low balled it and will bang the hell out of the HO for CO. In my opinion, that makes them a scumbag. Or they missed something. Or they believed the BS they read about guys making money charging $45/hr (without realizing that those guys have 100 men in the field and make $10/hr on each man - or $1000 an hour to cover OH)

Regardless of the reason, don't cut your own throat to compete. Hell, you'd be better off going to work for someone else than dropping your pants to compete. At least then you'd get a paycheck, benefits and vacation.

You know Al?

edit- realized i was thinking of another job in regards to our pricing. We'd be over $2000 on this job without batting an eye

Last edited:

celtic

emahler said:
edit- realized i was thinking of another job in regards to our pricing. We'd be over $2000 on this job without batting an eye

celtic said:
My price:

So I'm at $1500 - $1700.

Either you're OH is too high, or mine is too low ....I was thinking about a new van :D

emahler

not at all...my overhead is fine...i can make money on that job at $1300-$1500. I just don't think profit is a dirty word. I have absolutely no problem making 20% or 40% profit. I don't subscribe to the theory that we have to make only 10% like some guys think.

Status
Not open for further replies.