Thread: Outside Hot Tub

Outside Hot Tub

I am new to the forum. So Hello!! I currently want to install a hot tub outside sort of recessed in an embankment on a gravel and stepping stone (which are space roughly 12" apart). I will be putting a 50 GFCI spa panel on the wall which is roughly 15' away in line of site. I was going to rest the tub on some PT form boards. You will be able to possibly reach ground on one side and will be getting out on wooden steps on to the gravel or stepping stones. My question is on bonding if it is required and how? Is this a different type of install or has someone done this? I mean just setting a hot tub on the ground or on gravel out in a backyard?

Re: Outside Hot Tub

I forgot to add that this is a self-contained tub. And the ground I was refering to, being able to reach was "earth ground".

bonding of all metal parts of hot tub is done from the factory if you run metal conduit to the hot tub you half to install bonding bushing and #8 bond wire to bonding bar.

Check your hottubs, the last one that I wired, the motors were not bonded. Someone else said the same thing about the one they did.
    Lou

Has anyone ran across the 60 amp hot tubs

Originally posted by allenwayne:
    Has anyone ran across the 60 amp hot tubs
    Allen, it's OK to use 6/3 NM cable on a 60 amp breaker. #6 is rated for 55 amps by T310.16, 240.4(B) allows us to use a 60 amp breaker.

Allen, please do us all a favor and use a code reference once in a while.

Allen, it's OK to use 6/3 NM cable on a 60 amp breaker. #6 is rated for 55 amps by T310.16, 240.4(B) allows us to use a 60 amp breaker.
    This is true. (As long as the load is under 55 Amps)

And Yes, I just saw a Hot Tub that required a 50 OR 60 amp circuit. I'm going to take an actual amp reading once it's up and running.
    Dave

"Don't wire like my brother"

Dave
    Don't be supprised when you take your amp reading, with everthing running that you only read about 45 amps.
    Lou