Instructor Credentials

Status
Not open for further replies.

JohnE

What are your personal opoinions on what an instructor should have for credentials?

I was having a conversation with one of my employees yesterday. He is in a class at one of the larger schools to prepare for his journeyman exam. Massachusetts has recently increased the number of schooling hours from 300 to 600, and it is divided into Journeyman1 and Journeyman2 curriculums. He is currently in Journeyman2.

He was explaining to me that he needed to go to a Journeyman1 class to make up one he missed in Journeyman2. He continued to explain that he couldn't be late as the instructor is very strict.

With further conversation he told me that the instructor was IN his Journeyman1 class last year, but only needed the 300 hours and became licensed last summer. So, within 3 months of becoming a Journeyman electrician, he is instructing the entire Journeyman1 course.

Now, I don't want to discredit his instructor. My employee says that the instructor is a "code junkie", which I respect and probably admire. And admittedly I don't know anything else about his background. But, if I were recomending instructor credentials, I'd like to see one with a Master's license and for a fairly arbitrary number, 5 years experience.

How's everyone else feel?

John

I have seen where some states require at least 5 years in the field, plus an exam to become an instructor.
For me the average instructor needs more experience than that. I will say that a teacher can sometimes learn more from the students.Teaching is a great way of learning... so there does have to be some place for a starting point.

I know this can be a very controversial topic, but I believe in having a lot of experience for the teacher.

iwire

Staff member
j_erickson said:
But, if I were recommending instructor credentials, I'd like to see one with a Master's license and for a fairly arbitrary number, 5 years experience.

How's everyone else feel?

John

I do not have my Masters License and doubt at this point I ever will, I don't need it.

None the less I am certainly considering a teaching position in my future.:)

I do agree it is more than a bit strange that last years classmate is this years instructor. I can only imagine there is a shortage of instructors.

JohnE

Pierre,

Thanks for the response. I realize that everyone needs to start somewhere, but I feel that a certain amount of experience is necessary.

Also I don't want to start any controversy, I just want opinions from anyone willing to share.

John

JohnE

Bob,

Good points.

I guess I'm re-evaluating my Master's requirement when taking you into consideration. But you are not the "norm". :cool: You certainly have the experience to match anyone.

In MA a master's license is only required to be in business and hire Journeymen.

And I do believe there is a shortage of instructors.

John

JohnE

Bob,

I'd like to add that for years I didn't have my Master's as I didn't need it. We were in business using my Father's license. Still are actually. I just couldn't stand the idea of sitting through the 100 hour class required to take the exam.

I finally went about 5 years ago figuring my father will probably die before me. Also with my interest in inspecting, many towns want their inspector to have a master's.

The common misconception in MA is that a Master must know more than a Journeyman.

iwire

Staff member
I would be more inclined to get my Masters if I could than let my J-Man go.

What possible reason do they have to make me maintain both other than to collect my money?

jwelectric

I will bet that any instructor that is honest with him/her self will admit that the first class they ever taught there was only one student in the classroom. The rest were instructors.
Yes I know that this sounds a little crazy but it is the truth if the truth has ever been spoken.

No matter if it is a baby that is taking its first step or someone that is about to discover something new it is all a learning experience.
We all have to start a new adventure at the beginning. Form there it is nothing more than a learning experience.
In my most humble opinion I teach nothing in the classroom I only offer guidance to those who are learning. Through this process I find that I am as much a student as the people that have enrolled and paid a fee. The only difference between them and me is they pay to learn and I get paid to learn.
The day that I feel that I have all the answers and can?t learn anymore then it will be time for me to quit.

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
Not all electricians can instruct
Not all instructors can be electricians

For experience, the students like to see you've been there.
But you need all the knowledge you can get on the NEC and related areas.

Being a master electrician means you have the knowledge.
In Washington State our Master Electrican is a bit different than other states, and the test has only been in effect since July 1,2005.

bphgravity

We have this same problem here in SW Florida. We will have an enrollment of over 200 students this comming school year which leaves us short 6 instructors. Last year several members of the board were required to fill in as no instructors were available. We also hired two 4th year graduates that had obtained their J-license the summer before.

The problem is fairly simple. The most qualified persons that could be instructors are the very same persons that are unable to make the committment involved with being an instructor. 2 nights a week doesn't seem like a lot of work or time however figure in trying to run a business and family all at the same time and 2 nights a week are simply not available. Also, many of the local jurisdictions here don't permit their inspectors to be instructors at the apprenticeship program to avoid unforeseen conflicts of interest.

This leaves "retirees" and those perhaps not so qualified. The reality is, as I have experienced over the last 6 years instructing, if you are looking to be an instructor because you need a job or you are in need of the extra income, the job may not be for you. I find those that have become instructors simply for the purposes of "giving back" or simply have a passion for teching make the best instructors.

dlhoule

Mike
I like what you wrote!!!

"In my most humble opinion I teach nothing in the classroom I only offer guidance to those who are learning."

Such humility from one so knowledgeable. Admirable.

The best instructors cannot teach someone not wanting to learn.
The poor instructors can do more harm than good.

I frequently am working with apprentices and sometimes think I learn more from them than they do from me.:cool:

raider1

Staff member
bpgravity said:
I find those that have become instructors simply for the purposes of "giving back" or simply have a passion for teching make the best instructors.

Well said Bryan.

I didn't start teaching for the money, I did it for the ability to keep up on theory, code, and for a desire to see better trained electricians.

I find that I learn as much from teaching the class as the students do from taking the class. Teaching makes me think and the some of the students that I have had are very astute and ask very good questions.

I find that I get as much, or more out of teaching, then the students do.

Chris

JohnE

Bryan,

Well said. I turned down an offer to teach a few years ago, since my part time inspections already made my schedule difficult.

I realize a shortage of instructors probably opened the door for this individual. I'd bet his passion will make him a good instructor, especially when coupled with some additional experience.

With that said, what would you want to see as prerequisite for teaching?

John

dlhoule

Qualifications:

Knowledge....ability to teach....caring.....keeping up with current rules and theories......preferrably a bit of experience....lack of arrogance....ability to say "I don't know, but I'll try to find the answer, and then find it; if possible.

Now I suspect that there are not many teachers anywhere that start out with all these qualifications.

I also think students need to understand that the teacher is not always correct, and that he hasn't always said what you thought he said.

Status
Not open for further replies.