"Seagull" undercabinet lights

Status
Not open for further replies.

JES2727

Just curious: Anyone besides me experiencing an unacceptable failure rate for Seagull xenon undercabinet lights? I've done two kitchens recently and been called back three times for the Seagull lights. First time was a loose connection (factory connection), second time was apparently a ballast failure, and the third time, I don't know yet. I'm going there tomorrow, but he told "half the light is out".
Also, any opinions on who makes the best (most reliable) xenon UC lights??
Thanks.

John

jjhoward

Occupation
Owner TJ Electric
Have only done 1 kitchen with Seagull lights.
No problems in 5 mos.
Installed LV pucks and LV linear light sockets that push onto the 12 awg zip cord. These lights worked with a remote xformer.

JohnE

I've been using the seagull ambiance for around 5 years. Probably 50 or so installs and only problem ever has been one failed transformer.

Do you use the seagull brand transformer?

JES2727

I am using the 120 volt inch-high strip lights, with xenon lamps. The trnsformer is self contained.

busman

Occupation
Master Electrician / Electrical Engineer
I've installed about 20 of the Seagull Xenon 120V lights. No problem so far. Three are in my pantry/laundry room.

Mark

jjhoward

Occupation
Owner TJ Electric
John, I used xformers from Tortran Inc. They have integrated auto resettable thermal protection. Mounted them in the basement under the kitchen, should work forever, they are magnetic, no semiconductors.

Jes, not sure why using these would be a violation..

JES2727

Thanks for the replies. Maybe I'm just having a run of bad luck. My supplier swears to me he hasn't had any other complaints about these lights.
The third light I checked out yesterday ("half the light is out") was another bad internal crimp connection. Another crimp inside the same fixture was still working but showing quite a bit of discoloration, indicating that it's been getting too hot. It probably would have resulted in a 4th service call in a few more weeks if I had not caught it when I did. So I'm still thinking I'll try another manufacturer on the next one.....

electricmanscott

jjhoward said:
John, I used xformers from Tortran Inc. They have integrated auto resettable thermal protection. Mounted them in the basement under the kitchen, should work forever, they are magnetic, no semiconductors.

It wouldn't.

I have used hundreds of the fixtures in the link. Only one call back that I can remember.

http://nslusa.com/xenontask.html

jes25

jjhoward said:
I used xformers from Tortran Inc.

I was talking about the seagull ambiance system, they are only listed for use with thier transformers.

ty

We install these all of the time, and also the 'Ambiance' system.

The only issue that I can recall is one of the terminals on the back of the switch had a nick or improperly installed shrink tube and was shorted out to the back plate.

We also on some jobs will use NSL brand as Scott does.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
jjhoward said:

Just curious: what is your wiring method betwixt the transformer and the lights?

JohnE

When I install them, I use romex between Xfmr and lights. Seagull sells a "changeover" box with terminal strip to change from romex to their low voltage cable. It is small enough to not show under most cabinets.

Status
Not open for further replies.