installing 25' lgt pole

Status
Not open for further replies.

jdub

I am installing a 25' lgt pole on a 36" high concrete pole base at an outdoor fuel island (LPG). I have been told that I need to provide a seal off at the end of the conduit. The conduit is installed underground and to the center of the concrete pole base. Code states that class I, division II is the floor up to 18". My question is, do I still need a seal off if the conduit is 3' underground encased and exits the top/center of the concrete pole base to come into the bottom of the lgt pole?

Smart $

Esteemed Member
jdub said:
I am installing a 25' lgt pole on a 36" high concrete pole base at an outdoor fuel island (LPG). I have been told that I need to provide a seal off at the end of the conduit. The conduit is installed underground and to the center of the concrete pole base. Code states that class I, division II is the floor up to 18". My question is, do I still need a seal off if the conduit is 3' underground encased and exits the top/center of the concrete pole base to come into the bottom of the lgt pole?
Provided the C1D2 location is from the "floor up to 18"" as you say, you would not have to install a seal-off if the segment of the run passing through the C1D2 location meets all the requirements of 501.15(B)(2) Exception No. 4 [or 505.16(C)(1) Exception No. 4 if alternatively C1Z2 designated].

Smart $

Esteemed Member
don_resqcapt19 said:
This is an Article 514 application and 514.8 applies and requires the seal.
Don
You may well be correct. I wasn't thinking of propane as a motor fuel (I was thinking more of propane as a heating fuel) and the OP didn't explicitly state the island was for motor vehicle refueling.

Question: If this were a tank-recharge facility, i.e. not for direct motor vehicle refueling, would it still fall under Article 514 requirements? I notice the definition of Motor Vehicle Dispensing Facility (514.2) also states, "...or into approved containers..." Propane does have several other-than-motor-vehicle-fuel uses (e.g. heating) and considering every tank-recharging facility as a Motor Fuel Dispensing Facility may not be readily apparent.

Status
Not open for further replies.