Dedicated Space?

Status
Not open for further replies.

fbhwt

Electrical Systems Inspector
Occupation
This job was turned down by inspector for "transformer installed in dedicated panel space". I believe I have meet the requirements of 110.26, I would like some other opinions, thank you for you input.

Last edited:

fbhwt

Occupation
Dedicated Space

Dedicated Space

I seem to be having some problem attaching a picture that would help with this.

Rockyd

Occupation
Retired after 40 years as an electrician.
Check 110.26 (3) Sentence # 2 about the 6" plane variation. Hopefully your on strut, and flex with the Xformer, and that it's not that much hasle to nove an 1 5/8" or 3 1/4" either direction.

iwire

Staff member
Yeah that would get a fail.

It looks to me like you do not have 30" between the transformer and the wall on the right and it looks like the transformer is in front of the left hand (208 Panel).

It also looks to me like the only way to get the space you need is to locate the transformer all the way to the left and slide the 208 panel to the right directly against the 480 panel.

Wall/Transformer/208 Panel/480 Panel/Wall

fbhwt

Occupation
Thanks for the input, thanks George for helping with the picture, now where did I put that "easy button"?

dduffee260

I agree with Bob, but seems like 99.99% of the time Bob is right on. One thing I noticed was that the wires looked a tad sloppy in the 208 volt panel. On the panels our emloyees install I may have have the electrician redo this. Also I look at the conduits to check and see how many current carrying conductors are in a pipe. The transformer is in the way of the panels, the easiest thing to do would be relocate it the proper distance to the left wall and pipe around to it.

Jim W in Tampa

Just mark it up to poor planning.Perhaps if ceiling is high enough ,raise it to 7 feet from ground.If not start moving panels.What you have now is a serious danger.

dcspector

fbhwt said:
This job was turned down by inspector for "transformer installed in dedicated panel space". I believe I have meet the requirements of 110.26, I would like some other opinions, thank you for you input.

Was that you on a Hi-Rise in DC I just turned down for that install? Not kidding just asking.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Rockyd said:
Check 110.26 (3) Sentence # 2 about the 6" plane variation. Hopefully your on strut, and flex with the Xformer, and that it's not that much hasle to nove an 1 5/8" or 3 1/4" either direction.

I don't think that moving the panel over will help with the lack of 30" of width in front of the panel on the right. It would have been better if the two panels were next to each other with the transformer off to either side. Sorry to say but it looks like you have some major reconfiguring to do.

acrwc10

Master Code Professional
Occupation
Building inspector
It looks like you could sit on the xfmr while working on the panel:smile: Your best bet may be moving it forward to get your clearance. just run the input and output around the wall.

This is definitely a clearance issue.

Something to think about. Lets say that the electrician in the picture is working on the panel. There is a fault of some kind at the transformer. Does that electrician have a snowballs chance in 'heck'......

I always thought the clearance in 110.26 was to help protect electricians from just that scenario???

fbhwt

Occupation
I seem to have got myself into a situation, let me explain, this job was done by an employee of the company I work for, I was asked by the boss to go look at this after it had failed and take pictures and measurements. I posted this thread at his request to get some input on the install. I do want to thank everyone for there input.

celtic

fbhwt said:
I seem to have got myself into a situation, let me explain, this job was done by an employee of the company I work for, I was asked by the boss to go look at this after it had failed and take pictures and measurements.
I don't think you got yourself into a situation...I think the other fellow did ;)

Isn't it great when you have to fix a situation you didn't create?:mad:

It is difficult to size the room from the picture, but if the floor tiles are 6-inch tiles, the room looks to be approximately 8 feet wide. I also understand this idea may not be possible, but it would only require moving one panel and sliding the transformer. Would it be possible to move the 480-volt panel (panel on right) to the wall on the left? (Not on the same wall where they are at present, but on the wall where the 208-volt panel cover is leaning.) Then slide the transformer to the wall on the right.
Charles

fbhwt

Occupation
The distance from left to right is 81" the panel on the right is the high voltage panel which has a rigid conduit coming in the bottom that goes back to the service in the equipment room. this would be a costly move. the panel on the left could be moved, but then all the branch circuits coming in the top would have to be moved as well. It is my understanding that the transformer was moved yesterday to the wall on the left.

Status
Not open for further replies.