article 230.28

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think it would be a good idea to add a table to this article.
After recent experience with poco. they cost me MONEY, even though the Inspector approved 1 1/4" RGC 18" above roof for a 100 amp service. mast was within 6" of edge of roof. They think 2" RGC is the ultimate answer to all overhead services in S.C. "POCO rules!", they seem to disregard NEC adopted by state, and local AHJ

Kessler4130

I know here in maryland you can get a book from the service provider with all of thier requirements for service drops and under ground installations. They gave us one right off thier truck and it even has information on how to obtain more free of cost inside.

The book has been invaluable to us for temporary services, and anything having to do with a mast.

Jljohnson

POCO's require alot of things that are not in the NEC. Look through Exel's "Green" book if you want to see the ultimate form of additional requirements. I agree with Don's statement about point of service attachment being under POCO's authority, not the local inspector's. Unfortunatley, learning all the local rules can be a little expensive to us contractors on occasion. FWIW, I have never made the same error twice when it cost me $$$$. A table added to this section would, however, be worthless for giving local requirement information.

dlhoule

dwturbeville@yahoo.com said:
POCO told me that they have the authority to override the NEC.

IMO they are flat out wrong about overriding the NEC. Now having stated my opinion on that. They more or less have the say on what happens right up to the meter. I know of no poco that requires less than the NEC be installed for their HU.:)

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Larry,
They are not overriding the NEC. The support of the power company supplied and installed service drop is not subject to the NEC. It is subject to the NESC and the utility company rules.
Don

JohnJ0906

Kessler4130 said:
I know here in maryland you can get a book from the service provider with all of thier requirements for service drops and under ground installations. They gave us one right off thier truck and it even has information on how to obtain more free of cost inside.

The book has been invaluable to us for temporary services, and anything having to do with a mast.
You can also download it from their website, at least the Baltimore area POCO. (BGE)

100 amp service?

100 amp service?

In Illinois before even quoting a service I apply with ComED... they fax forms and send someone out for site inspection to verify proposed equipment type and location before purchase. It also helps speed up the job because they require minimum 6 week lead time, although I've usually seen 2-3. In Florida FPL and counties have online applications and list approved equipment and service requirements. Again we always apply there before applying for permit.

The POCO or AHJ can't override the NEC but can require MORE than the minimum NEC requirement, especially if its published. I always check with both and ask what they'd prefer to see not just minimum requirement... you'd be amazed how much cooperation it buys. Several times I've been able to save money because of suggestions, or alternatives they offer. POCO has even dug hole for meter socket on occasion.

Just out of curiousity... why would you even install a service under 200 amps?

mdshunk

DaveTap said:
Just out of curiousity... why would you even install a service under 200 amps?
Small house, all gas major appliances, gas heat. I install just as many 100 amp services as I do 200 amp one's. Especially service upgrades from 30 or 60 to 100.

hillbilly

One local jurisdiction across the state line from me requires a minimum of 2 1/2" (rigid or imc) steel conduit for the mast if it supports the drop. Where I live, 2" is the norm.
Ice storms are the problem around here. I've seen it 2" thick (a few times) in my time. That's a lot of weight on a 75' drop. It always removes the weak masts. Kinda like survival of the fittest.
A good ice storm usually creates a lot of emergency work in my area.
I always keep that in mind when I'm installing a new service, and I've never had one of mine pulled loose, other than a tree falling across the service drop.
If I have to go more than 30" above the flashing to maintain ground clearance, I will increase the size or add a guy wire.
IMO, if the mast fails because of ice or wind (other than a tornado or hurricane or fallen tree), you haven't met the intent of 230.28. I'm sure that others will disagree.
Most of the failures I see are at the POCO connection to the mast. The customer's aren't nearly as ill if it's the POCO equipment that fails and rips the entrance cables out of the meter base rather than the mast failing and taking it all off of the house; and sometimes the service entry cable with it.
Much ice in SC?
steve

Status
Not open for further replies.