Neutral or grounded conductor

Status
Not open for further replies.

RAMSES79

As I've posted I'm studying for my Master electrician exam and I've come across another question I'm not sure about. The question asks, (blank) conductor carries the unbalanced load of a multi-branch circuit. Neutral, grounded, and both were answers. I selected grounded, but when I was checking my answers the key said neutral. Is this really correct? I didn't think a neutral was in the terminology of the code.

ibew441dc

As I've posted I'm studying for my Master electrician exam and I've come across another question I'm not sure about. The question asks, (blank) conductor carries the unbalanced load of a multi-branch circuit. Neutral, grounded, and both were answers. I selected grounded, but when I was checking my answers the key said neutral. Is this really correct? I didn't think a neutral was in the terminology of the code.

Article 100 (2008 NEC)
Neutral Conductor. The conductor connected to the neutral point of a system that is intended to carry current under normal conditions.

210.4(C) (2008 NEC)
Line-to-Neutral Loads. Multiwire branch circuits shall supply only line-to-neutral loads.

Although the addition of the definition of Neutral Conductor is new to the 2008, neutral has been terminology used in the code for as long as I've been around. Even if the exam is on a year prior to the 2008 NEC the answer they are looking for IMO is neutral. However, IMO the best most correct answer is both.

A code compliant neutral conductor is always a grounded conductor, but a grounded conductor is not always a neutral conductor.

Last edited:

Smart $

Esteemed Member
... However, IMO the best most correct answer is both.

A code compliant neutral conductor is always a grounded conductor, but a grounded conductor is not always a neutral conductor.
Many if not most wye systems do have a grounded neutral. However, those that would have voltages greater than 250V to ground if the neutral is grounded are not required to be grounded. So even though uncommon, neutral is the only totally correct answer.

Last edited:

ibew441dc

Many if not most wye systems do have a grounded neutral. However, those that would have voltages greater than 250V to ground if the neutral is grounded are not required to be grounded. So even though uncommon, neutral is the only totally correct answer.

"250V to ground if the neutral is grounded are not required to be grounded.":-? Please provide a code reference or an example:smile:

250.20(B) Alternating-Current Systems of 50 Volts to 1000 Volts.
Alternating-current systems of 50 volts to 1000 volts that supply premises wiring and premises wiring systems shall be grounded under any of the following conditions:

(1) Where the system can be grounded so that the maximum voltage to ground on the ungrounded conductors does not exceed 150 volts

(2) Where the system is 3-phase, 4-wire, wye connected in which the neutral conductor is used as a circuit conductor

(3) Where the system is 3-phase, 4-wire, delta connected in which the midpoint of one phase winding is used as a circuit conductor

Smart $

Esteemed Member
"250V to ground if the neutral is grounded are not required to be grounded.":-? Please provide a code reference or an example:smile:
Disregard the 250V to ground implication... memory (or more precisely, lack thereof...) got the better of me :smile:

Nevertheless...

250.20(C) Alternating-Current Systems of 1 kV and Over. Alternating current systems supplying mobile or portable equipment shall be grounded as specified in 250.188. Where supplying other than mobile or portable equipment, such systems shall be permitted to be grounded.

....reads, in other words, not required to be grounded.

ibew441dc

Disregard the 250V to ground implication... memory (or more precisely, lack thereof...) got the better of me :smile:

Nevertheless...

250.20(C) Alternating-Current Systems of 1 kV and Over. Alternating current systems supplying mobile or portable equipment shall be grounded as specified in 250.188. Where supplying other than mobile or portable equipment, such systems shall be permitted to be grounded.

....reads, in other words, not required to be grounded.

Okay I'll buy that:smile:. As I am most familiar with systems less than 600volts, I will change my statement.

A code compliant neutral conductor in systems 1000V or less, is typically a grounded conductor, but a grounded conductor is not always a neutral conductor.

ibew441dc

The question asks, (blank) conductor carries the unbalanced load of a multi-branch circuit. Neutral, grounded, and both were answers.

Assuming muti-branch circuit is refering to Branch Circuit, Multiwire....

Article 100
Branch Circuit, Multiwire. A branch circuit that consists of two or more ungrounded conductors that have a voltage between them, and a grounded conductor that has equal voltage between it and each ungrounded conductor of the circuit and that is connected to the neutral or grounded conductor of the system.

Based on this definition it is clear that the answer is both. However, IMO many tests may be looking for neutral based on....

210.4(C) (2008 NEC)
Line-to-Neutral Loads. Multiwire branch circuits shall supply only line-to-neutral loads.

Smart $

Esteemed Member
Okay I'll buy that:smile:. As I am most familiar with systems less than 600volts, I will change my statement.

A code compliant neutral conductor in systems 1000V or less, is typically a grounded conductor, but a grounded conductor is not always a neutral conductor.

I can live with that ;)

Assuming muti-branch circuit is refering to Branch Circuit, Multiwire....

Based on this definition it is clear that the answer is both. However, IMO many tests may be looking for neutral based on....
Same here :grin:

IMO, a person that writes a multiple choice test question which has no concise answer among the available choices, such as the one of topic, should be suitably, if not severely penalized.

Status
Not open for further replies.