EMT supporting and securing

Status
Not open for further replies.

benaround

358.30 (A) EMT shall be securely fastened in place-------

I'm looking at a 4" emt hanging 20' down from the ceiling by the use of

3/8 allthread and minerallic clamps, the run is 200' long, if you get on a lift

and go to the pipe you can shake it 5' - 10' easy.

Is this a code compliant installation ?

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
IMO it is not securely fastened in place. I don't see how lateral movement of five to ten feet can be construed as being secured in place. What you have done is secure it along an arc, not a single place.

benaround

Bob P.,

I couldn't agree more, yet as others have posted it's an IE's call ? I don't

know how it can even be concidered a call situation.

Thanks guys for the replys. p.s. I thought I was in NEC when I posted this.

tyha

it has only got to be fastened in place by a termination point. just supported everywhere else.but i do agree it probably isnt.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Ok, so its not code compliant...how do you make it so? I don't think that a second rod and a trapeze would really help much.
Don

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
don_resqcapt19 said:
Ok, so its not code compliant...how do you make it so? I don't think that a second rod and a trapeze would really help much.
Don

I agree. It is not a simple problem. The OP only asked if it was code compliant, not how to fix it.

iwire

Staff member
LarryFine said:
How about a column of strut and mineralacs?

?

I don't understand what you mean.

IMO, an inspector can easily move past this and they often do.

If it was in a location subject to damage that would be one thing, if you need a lift to access it I don't see an issue.

Gas lines, sprinkler lines, water lines all are done in the same way and can be moved side to side if you get up there and try to move them.

Personally I don't see where 'securely fastened' actually requires it to be secured in all directions.

It is securely fastened from falling down, IMO it is well within the inspectors discretion to allow it.

celtic

From a different angle .....were the wires pulled in already?

A poorly supported/secured 200' long of 4" may not even survive the force applied to it while pulling.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
iwire said:
?

IMO, an inspector can easily move past this and they often do.

If it was in a location subject to damage that would be one thing, if you need a lift to access it I don't see an issue.

Gas lines, sprinkler lines, water lines all are done in the same way and can be moved side to side if you get up there and try to move them.

Personally I don't see where 'securely fastened' actually requires it to be secured in all directions.

It is securely fastened from falling down, IMO it is well within the inspectors discretion to allow it.

The code does not say securely fastened. It says securely fastened in place. I don't see how anything that can move 10 feet is securely fastened in place.

That does not mean an inspector might not notice, or might choose to pass it anyway.

iwire

Staff member
petersonra said:
The code does not say securely fastened. It says securely fastened in place. I don't see how anything that can move 10 feet is securely fastened in place.

I agree, you are correct, I should have looked at the wording before posting.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
iwire said:
I also erred. I took it to mean a drop down 20' from the ceiling to the floor.

As Roseanna Roseannadanna used to say . . .

2003_7_gilda.jpg

"Never mind!"

RUWIREDRITE

20 foot drop

20 foot drop

Are there obstacles that prevent this pipe run to be up by the building support steel ?, then drop to a location. Explain why its hanging 20 feet down on this pipe run.

bstoin

I have on many, many occasions hung emt from allthread or even hanger wire with a bat wing...they are code compliant where I have worked (SC, Ohio, Fla).

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
bstoin said:
I have on many, many occasions hung emt from allthread or even hanger wire with a bat wing...they are code compliant where I have worked (SC, Ohio, Fla).

Unless those jurisdictions amend the code to allow this, IOMPO they are not compliant. That does not mean an inspector would not give you a pass on it.

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager
It is very common in my area to suspend EMT and boxes from allthread beam-clamped or anchored to the ceiling. If a box is secured to the ceiling, and 1/2" pipe runs only come from opposite directions or the same direction (as opposed to entering and exiting at 90 degree angles to the box) it is not uncommon for the whole installation to be movable several inches after completion.

Usually, it seems to the the EMT itself that stops this sway, where it enters/exits a room.

With the presence of other systems sharing the same space, how else are we to support our system? :confused:

One thing I've found since changing over to commercial is 90% of it is dodging other systems trying to share the same valuable space; trying to add framing to the ceiling of a space to screw our equipment to would only consume more space for minimal gain, IMO.

If a pipe is untouched, does it sway? :)

Smart $

Esteemed Member
petersonra said:
Anything fastened in place can move with an appropriate applied force. Until the code defines the amount of force the fastening must withstand without moving, or how much the attached items can move and without detaching, it remains subject to interpretation.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.