Thread: Questionable Convenience Outlet

Questionable Convenience Outlet

For an in-ground pool installation, with a 1.5 Hp(240v) pump hardwired to a 2-pole 20 amp breaker, the electrician installed a 120v GFI duplex convenience outlet adjacent to the pump. The outlet is not wired to it's own circuit breaker, but connected it across one leg of the motor circuit. IS THIS OUTLET WIRED PER ACCEPTABLE NEC PRACTICES? (all conductors to the motor look like they are #10. The motor is ~75 ft. from the breaker panel.)

Thankyou for consulting.
    Tom

Re: Questionable Convenience Outlet

I reference §210.23(A)(2)

All the messy pool rules aside, this pump surely takes up 50% of the circuit's available ampacity (table 430.248), and the circuit is not permitted to serve this receptacle.

[ May 09, 2005, 09:22 PM: Message edited by: mdshunk ]

The pool pump manufacturere probably also requires a GFCI circuit breaker. Even though NEC does not require GFCI for a hardwired pump, the pump manufacturer probably requires GFCI to avoid liability.

I am wondering where they picked up the grounded conductor? Most 1Ø, 240V installations consist of only two ungrounded and 1 grounding (bonding) conductors. The GFCI receptacle requires a separate grounded and grouding conductor along with its phase conductor.
    Bryan P. Holland, MCP

bphgravity-
    What I saw when I looked at the site was three wires (red, blk, & wht) and a ground wire. The convenience outlet has the wht, blk and ground wire over to it.

My initial concern was if the duplex outlet was properly protected from overload, since it was wired to the same 2-pole breaker as the motor?

Thanks,
    Tom