Feeder or Branch Circuit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

kzoo

acrwc10 said:
What if it were 220 volt with no neutral?

210.25 not withstanding, would solve some of the issues since the switched ungrounded conductors would be electrically isolated.

benaround

Kzoo,

What happens when both houses have their switchs on? Does the smart

controler have instructions on how it should be wired? Is it made to be used

by two seperate dwellings. If, this is some kind of a 'rig' job,you better be

carefull.

Bob NH

The right solution for this is to put a water meter on each line from the pump, and operate it from one pressure switch supplying both houses. Power should come from the property where the well is located.

Water meters cost about $50 each. The service will be better for both users. The cost can be shared based on water usage.

kzoo

benaround said:
Kzoo,

What happens when both houses have their switchs on? Does the smart

controler have instructions on how it should be wired? Is it made to be used

by two seperate dwellings.

It is made to have two seperate power sources. Technically speaking, it switches houses on pump use I think. i.e. pump cycle #1 is powered by house A, pump cycle #2 is powered by house B.

acrwc10

Master Code Professional
Occupation
Building inspector
kzoo said:
It is made to have two seperate power sources. Technically speaking, it switches houses on pump use I think. i.e. pump cycle #1 is powered by house A, pump cycle #2 is powered by house B.

so if house A uses 10 times the water then house B gets "hosed" on the power bill.

kzoo

acrwc10 said:
so if house A uses 10 times the water then house B gets "hosed" on the power bill.

Pun intended!:grin: :grin:

But yeah, I guess that's one thing about shared systems that stinks as "well".
Pun intended!:D :D

So anyway...

Back to my original question, is the supply to the control and pump a feeder or branch circuit? Also, since it's not a multiple structure under single management as someone else mentioned would I be correct in that 210.4 prohibits the tied together neutral and tied together ground scenario, in addition to others that I haven't considered?

Bea

Back to my original question, is the supply to the control and pump a feeder or branch circuit? Also, since it's not a multiple structure under single management as someone else mentioned would I be correct in that 210.4 prohibits the tied together neutral and tied together ground scenario, in addition to others that I haven't considered?[/QUOTE]

The circuits are branch circuit even thought you have an additional over-current device it could have just been a knife switch disconnect asuming circuit is the same gauge to pump as from the house

I don't see that there is a violation in tying the grounds together

I IMO Bob Iwire addressed the neutrals being tied together as 250.24

I fall to see how 210.4 relates because each circuit that supplies the controller has all conductors of each circuit coming from there respective panel board unless I missed something

iwire

Staff member
kzoo said:
Also, since it's not a multiple structure under single management as someone else mentioned would I be correct in that 210.4 prohibits the tied together neutral and tied together ground scenario, in addition to others that I haven't considered?

210.4 does not have anything to do with EGCs and I don't see how 210.4 has anything to do with the neutrals.

Do you mean 310.4? That also does not apply to EGCs but might be applied to the grounded conductors

I gave you a code section that prohibits the neutrals being tied together.

250.24(A)(5).

The EGCs are likely required to be tied together by 250.148

I can't see how that would be avoided with two circuits supplying common equipment,

Natfuelbilll

kzoo -

Is this a controller system built by a manufacturer and installed per those instructions?

Are there more of these controllers in the area?

Are the branches/feeders (I don't think your question has been answered) hardwired into the controller? Or are they connected with attachment plugs? Along the line of untilzation equipment..

If so, perhaps this could fall into the same rulels that apply to a control fuse inside a microwave? I mean the microwave fuse (being the last overcurrent device) doesn't make the circuit a feeder.

Are you sure the switching devices in the controller are overcurrent devices, might they just be like molded case switches and used to faciliate maintenance?

kzoo

iwire said:
210.4 does not have anything to do with EGCs and I don't see how 210.4 has anything to do with the neutrals.

Well, the circuits from each of the service panels consists of 2 ungrounded conductors, a neutral and a ground. 210.4 states all conductors shall originate from the same panel board. The neutrals are part of the circuit correct? So regardless of which home is supplying power each service panel is seeing return current. Therefore, if House A is supplying current part of the circuit is terminating in House B.

kzoo

iwire said:
I gave you a code section that prohibits the neutrals being tied together.

250.24(A)(5).

Sorry, blew right through that. I get it though.

Thanks guys to everyone who replied to my thread. I'm glad I came across this site!:D

Status
Not open for further replies.