Ballast Disconnect

Status
Not open for further replies.

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
After three years here is the first product I have seen for a ballast disconnect.

"The PowerPlug ballast disconnect allows electricians to disconnect power to fluorescent lighting fixtures for servicing without exposure to live wires. Targeted at lighting OEMs and retrofit installations, the IDEAL PowerPlug is available for use with solid or stranded wire ranging from 12-18 AWG. PowerPlug's rugged nylon housings are a bright orange to signify a safety device, plus have unique thumb ridges to provide a superior grip. Contacts are manufactured from high-quality tin alloy.

PowerPlug is the first ballast disconnect to fully meet new Canadian Electrical Code (CEC 30-308(4)) and National Electrical Code (NEC 410.73 (G), 2005 edition) safety requirements for use with non-residential fluorescent fixtures."

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
So that's it? Sounds like a great idea since it should only add a few cents to the cost of the fixture.

M. D.

:mad: :mad: A FEW CENTS, A FEW CENTS DID YOU SAY A FEW CENTS, DO YOU HAVE ANY IDEA HOW MUCH TIME AND HOW MUCH RESHEARCH WENT INTO THAT PLASTIC THINGY!!!!:mad: :mad:

Should be a few cents gonna be few dollars at least.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
cost

cost

M.D., You have to figure in the cost of getting that requirement into the Code. CMP members don't eat cheap.

Mike01

code issue

code issue

I believe this is required in fixtures starting in 2008, but what is the difference between this, and just pulling the fuse out of a fused ballast? Dosent that also disconnect the power/

tkb

Is it going to required only on new fixtures, or on new and any that the ballasts are changed?

John Valdes

Occupation
Retired Electrician
What about the time to install these connectors on existing fixtures. Will all ballast's come with this connector attached?
It looks to be a time saver only if it will include connectors for the tubes too!!

RUWIREDRITE

Quick Connect

Quick Connect

We have serviced fixtures installed back in the 80's with these connectors. let me say they are the first weak link in the chain to faulter. We cut them out and wirenut them lately.
My 4-1/2 cents (go figure inflation)

Status
Not open for further replies.