Notes, daily log, crib notes, what ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cadpoint

I was wondering what note taking and self journals you creat on a job(s).

I'm interested to read the ways that one might do anything closely related, if at all, daily, weekly, a summary, anything?

I also realize it enough to cover the paper work from day to day, I'm just asking... I can think of alot of things I'm not putting down on paper!

Frankly, I'm thinking of starting one...

What do you do ? :rolleyes:

If you are running longer term commercial jobs then do a journal by the job/phase.
If you are running a service truck bouncing around then do them by however long the paper in the book lasts. (these should be done in bound volumes btw -NOT looseleaf)

keep track of everything that is happening. everything.
weather, who showed up, who left early, who did well, who slacked off, the minor injuries, phone calls in, and calls out, break and lunch times, materials short and over, comments by and agreements with the GC and other contractors... the good the bad and the ugly.

There are really no limits to what can and should be noted.
The hard part will be training yourself to make the time to keep up with it as a natural part of operating throughout your day... without making it into another 3 hour a day extra job.

nakulak

just don't put anything in there that you would rather not see displayed in court (because it most surely will be used against you if your book ends up in court for any reason)

khixxx

The only journal I keep are of small note pads, I can easily fit them into the side pocket of carpenter pants with a pen. I also keep this pad for note taking of instruments or other junk I would need. They are not the most durable for I throw them out in 3 months.

One thing I use to do was fill out a weekly performance sheet for my own personal development. One thing that I need to do less of is Talk. I Talk to much. I now wear a rubber band on my wrist to remind myself to shut up.

guitarsarge

I ran into a minor issue recently, but I keep my service calls documented in my planner and was able to show the sheriffs office exactly what I did, at what time and date. The customer has already been caught in 2 lies so far. She accused me of stealing light bulbs...:-? Pretty sad really, oh and she canceled her check of course, and then accused ME of being a thief...

JES2727

I created a log sheet in Excel. At the top I write in the job#, location, and job description. Another small section for completion date, invoice date, invoice # and invoice amount. Also PO# and/or quote #. Then a table in which I enter the date, employee name, and hours worked. Another table for material used, and my cost. On the backside I write a detailed description of what was done each day, including, for example, where I put the junction boxes or what particular device I used and if it was the right choice. Mistakes, shortcuts, who said what, anything that might help me down the road, I try to write it down. (because i can't remember anything). I try to fill in the log every day, but usually I find myself playing catch up at the end of the week or, worse yet, when I sit to do the invoice. Pretty much every job I do gets one of these sheets. Bigger jobs get there own notepad.

Teaspoon

I use a spiral note book as alog book.
I try to make notes on every job. Service calls I note what I was called for.
note what I found the problem to be and what I did to correct the problem.
Also note recommendations I made to the customer, concerning Safety Issues.

On larger jobs Like New construction ,I note the progress made on Daily basis.

Ebow

I keep two different note books, depending on job size/type. For new construction I use a loose leaf note book, with a zipper closure and briefcase handle, to keep panel schedules, thumb sketches, and pertinent notes. For general service calls I use an 8 x 6 Spiral bound. The info in this one can vary but it always includes the customer name, address, and telephone and a list of the work done with general material list. I use a lot of abbreviations in this book. Again there is always the pertinent note or two.

I do not let either of these take up much time in any day. The note book gets written in mostly when I need a couple minutes off the ladder or out of the rafters. And of course when I do the panel make up. The Spiral bound gets about two minutes while I let the A/C catch up in my truck before I pull of the job and head to the next one.

Gene

480sparky

I print two of these per page, and print on both sides:

Logbook.jpg

If you are working with a crew, you may want to add who was working that day. You may also want to add the foremans'/supervisors' signature.

Everyone, please be aware that if you are documenting your work, it MUST be in a solidly bound book for it to stand up in court. Looseleaf, spiral bound, notes scattered around several legal pads and the like will be thrown out faster than you can ever imagine. You can purchase bound books at any office supply, or print whatever you want (like I did) and take it to Kinkos (FedEx Office now, I think). They have a binding process that starts with the letter "V' which does not come to mind at the moment. 75 pages, printed 2 sides and bound is about $11. Cheap insurance if you ask me.

quogueelectric

I print two of these per page, and print on both sides:

Logbook.jpg

If you are working with a crew, you may want to add who was working that day. You may also want to add the foremans'/supervisors' signature.

Everyone, please be aware that if you are documenting your work, it MUST be in a solidly bound book for it to stand up in court. Looseleaf, spiral bound, notes scattered around several legal pads and the like will be thrown out faster than you can ever imagine. You can purchase bound books at any office supply, or print whatever you want (like I did) and take it to Kinkos (FedEx Office now, I think). They have a binding process that starts with the letter "V' which does not come to mind at the moment. 75 pages, printed 2 sides and bound is about $11. Cheap insurance if you ask me.
I have also been trained exactly as 480 states but a simple marble composition book will hold up to scrutiny very reasonably.

If you are running longer term commercial jobs then do a journal by the job/phase.
If you are running a service truck bouncing around then do them by however long the paper in the book lasts. (these should be done in bound volumes btw -NOT looseleaf)

keep track of everything that is happening. everything.
weather, who showed up, who left early, who did well, who slacked off, the minor injuries, phone calls in, and calls out, break and lunch times, materials short and over, comments by and agreements with the GC and other contractors... the good the bad and the ugly.

There are really no limits to what can and should be noted.
The hard part will be training yourself to make the time to keep up with it as a natural part of operating throughout your day... without making it into another 3 hour a day extra job.

just don't put anything in there that you would rather not see displayed in court (because it most surely will be used against you if your book ends up in court for any reason)

These are two good posts to read.

There is a lot to say about documenting one's work and work schedule.

The most important is to remember that those items may be good or bad if you should ever go to court.

Also, if you do want to keep a journal, and you think you may want to make it a legal document, you should not use a spiral bound type of book or one that pages can be added or removed. You will need a book where pages cannot be added or removed, unless it is obvious that it is so, such as using a composition type book, where the pages are permanent.

Let us know what you choose to do, I am interested to know.

Status
Not open for further replies.