Switchgear pictures

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone have any pictures of Parallel conductors in a switchgear? I'm working on connecting one in the next few days and want to make it neat. We have 12 runs of 4-500 mcm. Cables come up from the slab and connect within 24" from the floor.

Any advice on making this mess neat??

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Does anyone have any pictures of Parallel conductors in a switchgear? I'm working on connecting one in the next few days and want to make it neat. We have 12 runs of 4-500 mcm. Cables come up from the slab and connect within 24" from the floor.

If it looks neat, then most likely the conductors are not the same length and you have a code violation.

JES2727

I installed a couple of load banks a few months back, with custom enclosures to connect the load bank to the gen. I had a different electrician connect each one.
Here's one:
DSC01537.jpg

Here's the other:
DSC01627.jpg

jrannis

iwire

Staff member

You have 48 - 500s to criss cross in 24 inches?

Good luck with that, forget neat you will be lucky to get it done at all.

Sounds like that gear was designed to have a pit or sump under it.

dduffee260

You have 48 - 500s to criss cross in 24 inches?

Good luck with that, forget neat you will be lucky to get it done at all.

Sounds like that gear was designed to have a pit or sump under it.

I hear you there Bob and I have to agree. That is a lot of wire in a little space to be working.

Don't forget the " service loop " that I see a lot of electricians put in the wire. They say it is case one of the ends burns off they have slack to cut off and put back in the lug. I tell them if it burns off there will not be a lug left. I also say if you terminate the ends properly the first time you do not need a " service loop " because they will be there until the end.

We have a 4500 amp CT service cabinet to make up this week but seems like we have about 48 inches of space to work the wire. Even at there there is still a good amount of work terminating that many wires of that size. Good luck there.

Status
Not open for further replies.