range hoods

Status
Not open for further replies.

wigi

I had a question about disc. on appliances is the range hood in a dwelling unit consider an appliance under the 2005 nec

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Article 100-Definitions
Appliance. Utilization equipment, generally other than industrial, that is normally built in standardized sizes or types and is installed or connected as a unit to perform one or more functions such as clothes washing, air conditioning, food mixing, deep frying, and so forth.

Sounds like an appliance to me.

bphgravity

YES. Range hoods definetly fall under the scope of Article 422. A disconnecting means is required per 422.30 unless the provision of 422.16(B)(3) is utilized.

racerdave3

OK, now I find this very interesting. So what method is everyone using to provide the disconnecting means for range hoods? One thought already offered was a breaker lock.........anyone using other means?

celtic

racerdave3 said:
OK, now I find this very interesting. So what method is everyone using to provide the disconnecting means for range hoods? One thought already offered was a breaker lock.........anyone using other means?

Maybe the ON/OFF switch on the unit - 422.34

stickboy1375

racerdave3 said:

The ON/ OFF on the front of the unit... :)

Jljohnson

I agree that this falls under 422.34 and does not require a seperate disconnecting means as long as the hood has a unit switch with a clearly marked "OFF" position. JimW, I don't have the code reference handy but, I believe, what the 05 book says is that "IF" you choose to cord and plug connect a hood fa "THEN" you must provide a dedicated circuit. I don't think it is a requirement to cord and plug connect them. Correction, I do have the code reference, it is 422.16(B)4.

Geez, Celtic and Stickboy are fast, they beat me to it.LOL

allenwayne

Since I pull 6 20 amp circuits to my kitchens it isn`t a problem.1 fridge,1 d/w, 1 disp 2 s/a and 1 hood micro/hood that is cord connected.But that`s just how i do things.

To me breaker locks are like red lights they are there to stop you but you don`t have to use them.I also cord connect my d/w`s and disposals.

paul32

I can't speak for most range hoods--maybe most have switches marked with an OFF, but the one in my house doesn't.

I'm not sure why nobody mentioned 422.31(A). I could probably say most range hoods are under 300VA, which is 2.5A. Mine is 1.9A, and was the largest CFM in that particular style.

If a range hood is over 2.5A, the next question is does the motor exceed 1/8 hp. I'm not sure it would be marked as such. Mine says nothing. I looked at my dishwasher, and it has 5A for the motor and 11A total. Since 1/8 hp is not in the table in 430 I'm not sure how to know if I saw a range hood over 2.5A, even if it listed the motor amps separate. The point of all this is the breaker lock won't work if over 1/8 hp by 422.32 (as has been discussed here before).

Can anyone point to a range hood that is over 2.5A?

allenwayne

paul32 said:
I can't speak for most range hoods--maybe most have switches marked with an OFF, but the one in my house doesn't.

I'm not sure why nobody mentioned 422.31(A). I could probably say most range hoods are under 300VA, which is 2.5A. Mine is 1.9A, and was the largest CFM in that particular style.

If a range hood is over 2.5A, the next question is does the motor exceed 1/8 hp. I'm not sure it would be marked as such. Mine says nothing. I looked at my dishwasher, and it has 5A for the motor and 11A total. Since 1/8 hp is not in the table in 430 I'm not sure how to know if I saw a range hood over 2.5A, even if it listed the motor amps separate. The point of all this is the breaker lock won't work if over 1/8 hp by 422.32 (as has been discussed here before).

Can anyone point to a range hood that is over 2.5A?

Broan makes several that exceed 2.5 amps

Last edited:

Rockyd

Occupation
Retired after 40 years as an electrician.
In regard to residential - Wouldn't bother me at all if they (CMP) struck range hoods from the book(that maybe extreme, let's just say those under 300 watts)! I think Paul makes a very valid point about the low power consumption.

Status
Not open for further replies.