Smoke Detectors in one and two family dwellings

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jim W in Tampa

stickboy1375 said:
Connecticut does not require smokes on a AFI, and since when did a EC give something away for free?

I seriously think they took a bad move.Should a fire ever kill someone from that non afci circuit and its proved in court that if afci protected it would not have happened they just might find it costly.What good reason do they give for the change ?

Jim W in Tampa

stickboy1375 said:
AFI is only good for internal wiring anyway, so good luck proving what actually caused the fire...

I believe its based on the NFPA....

How about a staple in the romex that might take years to carbanise the wood truss ? I for one dont think locals should ever lower a code requirement.Exceeding it is fine.Even if the case is lost it still will cost the ahj to defend itself.What is there reason ?They work just fine in other states.

stickboy1375

if that is your case, then what about the staples in the rest of the house? so the only rooms that catch on fire are bedrooms? I hang more pictures in a hallway then a bedroom those wires are safe? i think not...

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Jim, I seriously doubt suing a states Governmental agency that makes the codes as the AHJ will go very far. :rolleyes:

It would be along the lines of suing a state over a fatal accident because it had a higher speed limit than a neighboring state did.

Roger

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I've always been under the impression that AFCI protection was aimed at plugged-in equipment, not premises wiring.

donselectric

smokes

smokes

i seem to remember smokes are in the building code and they were to be on
a lighting circuit,so you don't shut them off (easily) and now afci (in n.h) then again that could have been boca code...

allenwayne

IMO dedicating a smoke detector system is money thrown away.Now that is unless the manufacturer states a dedicated circuit is required.The AFCI requirements that the next cycle are supposed to be instilled are ridiculous IMO.But who am I just a dumb sparky with 30 + years in trade.From what I have seen over the years is that internal wiring has not been the cause for fires,other than FPE and Zinsco type issues.But rather Homeowners plugging multi strips into multi strips and creating an octopus type scenario.

The system has created a scenario in which a SFR is quickly going out of the reach of the standard JOE.Here I just read they want to increase impact fees for a new SFR from 3,000 some dollars to over 13,000 some dollars for the right to build a home.Why to pay for the roads needed to handle the traffic.Why should the homeowner pay for this.The developer and builder reaps the profit but the poor Joe shmoe pays for the right for the developer to reap the profits ????We have lasted all this time without the advent of AFCI`S and they still don`t meet the criteria for what is required.

Am I the only one that fails to see the logic in all of this?????

Jim W in Tampa

allenwayne said:
IMO dedicating a smoke detector system is money thrown away.Now that is unless the manufacturer states a dedicated circuit is required.The AFCI requirements that the next cycle are supposed to be instilled are ridiculous IMO.But who am I just a dumb sparky with 30 + years in trade.From what I have seen over the years is that internal wiring has not been the cause for fires,other than FPE and Zinsco type issues.But rather Homeowners plugging multi strips into multi strips and creating an octopus type scenario.

The system has created a scenario in which a SFR is quickly going out of the reach of the standard JOE.Here I just read they want to increase impact fees for a new SFR from 3,000 some dollars to over 13,000 some dollars for the right to build a home.Why to pay for the roads needed to handle the traffic.Why should the homeowner pay for this.The developer and builder reaps the profit but the poor Joe shmoe pays for the right for the developer to reap the profits ????We have lasted all this time without the advent of AFCI`S and they still don`t meet the criteria for what is required.

Am I the only one that fails to see the logic in all of this?????

As for the afci not working as promised i agree.It will add cost.But as to our impact fees here in Pasco they need to get the money from someone to pay the real cost of roads and schools.If developers where charged up front that would be fine but then they would just tack that onto the price so sfr is still paying for it.Look at how many trailers are added for class rooms.Roads are so over filled in mornings that some need an hour to get where we should go in 1/2.

I do not understand why we are not demanding afci that do what they should.

allenwayne

Jim I used to be able to drive from my road onto shady hille road and turn across traffic at 5 pm with no sweat.But now I wait sometimes 10 minutes to cross the same road and it`s getting worse.The building continues in spite of a falling market.

The impact fees don`t only affect the homeowner resturants impact fees are going from 11,000 / 1000 sq ft to 47,000 / 1000 sq ft.Near you Bexley ranch on 54 is going to be developed and they are widening SR 54 to 6 lanes from the suncoast to US 41.The developers will pay for it, but as you said in the long run the buyers foot the bill.

I can`t wait till my kids are done with school.I`m moving to the 7 acres I bought in KY.Laid back, low land taxes,no traffic and I can shoot anyone that trespasses lol (only kidding about the shooting :) )

But realisticly with the cost of afci breakers for an entire house the cost of wiring a SFR in a low profit business will just drive the cost up to Joe Schmoe for something that doesn`t work as intended.Kind of like back in the 70`s when the emmision standards were implemmented.Sure emmisions went down but so did performance and fuel mileage.Ok we are going to make it safer for the enviorment but you will pay the ultimate price........Out of the few dollars you make.

The breaker manufacturers have to love this.A product that doesn`t do what it is supposed to do but is still going to used for all circuits and is going to be mandated they be used ????? They reap the profit the homeowner has no choice but to pay it and the poor EC has to foot the bill till they get paid for the work.

RB1

From the International Electrical Code: Smoke Detection Circuits - Smoke detectors required by the International Building Code and installed within dwelling units shall not be connected as the only load on a branch circuit. Such detectors shall be supplied by branch circuits having lighting loads consisiting of lighting outlets in habitable spaces.

Status
Not open for further replies.