plumbing pipes over panel

Status
Not open for further replies.

Is there a code restriction for plumbing pipes over a panel in a residential basement? (Unfinshed cieling) Does 110.16 pertain to only commercial work?

drg

I have a situation on a upcoming job where there is a 3/4" pipe that runs above the area where I am going to install a panel . Its a retro fit panel changeout and my plans are to box in this portion of the basement ceiling where the 3/4" pipe runs with a 2ft by 4ft piece of plywood spanning the floor joists above the panel.

This is in a basement and the pipe is part of the baseboard heating system, I am hoping this approach will be acceptable ,so far I don't see any problem with doing it this way.

I never have done this before anyone see problems with doing it this way ??

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
The pipe cannot go over the footprint of the panel. You could build the panel out so the the pipe is behind it's footprint.

templdl

Mmmmmm, I was just at a home in a western suburb of Chicago where a 5" Sch40 sewer pipe runs above an in front of a 200a main SEC where the plumber has conveniently located a clean out. The house is new constructions and is about 4 months old.

drg

I was thinking of using 110.26 (f) (1) (b) as code reference when installing this protective barrier.

celtic

drg said:
I was thinking of using 110.26 (f) (1) (b) as code reference when installing this protective barrier.

In a residence???

Over 600v??

You are always free to go over code....but that certianly isn't required for the OP.

drg

Ha Ha I see what you mean, I was just locked on 110.26 articles and my situation thanks for the heads up celtic.

celtic

Don't get me wrong it IS a good idea.

In my own home, when I upped and relocated my service/panel, I re-routed a plumbing line that was directly over the new panel....BUT, the new location is about 8" from the water main - I "plan" on building a little wall there extends out about 12" ...just in case ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.