How to hide the extra gang

Status
Not open for further replies.

al hildenbrand

Occupation
Electrical Contractor, Electrical Consultant, Electrical Engineer
The other day, a friend was asking what to do at an opening in an existing wall where the wire count got too high to be contained in a single gang box.

Using an old work box is preferred, rather than hacking and patching. The old work box will expand the opening to two-gang.

He was thinking of a switch location, 48" high. He suggested two threeway switches, at each gang, hooked up like a normal threeway.

:)

al hildenbrand

Occupation
Well, that's the hypothetical part.

Let's say its three more cubic inches than the largest single gang old work box I can get.

al hildenbrand

Occupation
Thanks for the thought, Chris. Consider:

A bed wall switch that has two 14/2, one 14/3. NM with a nonmetallic box.

Say this is a bedroom switch controlling a remote receptacle outlet.

For whatever reason, it is now necessary to add two additional 14/2 to the location.

The wall surface is a hand painted mural. . .unpatchable. I can carefully expand the opening to two-gang, but I can't patch after inserting a junction box with plaster ring. The other side of the wall the switch is in is not available.

ceknight

al hildenbrand said:
A bed wall switch that has two 14/2, one 14/3. NM with a nonmetallic box......For whatever reason, it is now necessary to add two additional 14/2 to the location.

That makes things especially interesting, since not even the deepest single gang box is likely to have 5 clamps in back. Still, rather than try to hide a double gang on a wall mural, I'd try harder to find a way to distribute those cables across more of the room.

I have in overcrowding situations been known to add a new receptacle with a deep box, say, below the switch or else in an opposing room, just to give me another box to share the conductor load of a previously-overcrowded box. If those are new 14-2s being added to the old switch box, presumably you can get the cable length you'd need to re-route things to a different box.

Is that an option at all?

wirenut1980

al hildenbrand said:
The wall surface is a hand painted mural. . .unpatchable. I can carefully expand the opening to two-gang, but I can't patch after inserting a junction box with plaster ring. The other side of the wall the switch is in is not available.

This is nothing a few art classes couldn't handle. ;)

al hildenbrand

Occupation
ceknight said:
Is that an option at all?
For this one situation, there just isn't a way to avoid the second gang. . . .but there is nothing to use it for.

So, instead of ordering a custom switch/blank 2gang plate, what might I mount in that second gang?

Before my friend had suggested installing and wiring a classic threeway in the two gangs, I had suggested an electroluminescant decora style night light device.

Any thoughts?

al hildenbrand

Occupation
wirenut1980 said:
This is nothing a few art classes couldn't handle. ;)
LOL

Like all clients, this client wants the job done yesterday, and hasn't got time for me to learn art. ;)

ceknight

al hildenbrand said:
So, instead of ordering a custom switch/blank 2gang plate, what might I mount in that second gang?

How about a switch for a lamp that highlights the mural?

Or else a good ol' dummy switch. Don't connect it to anything, and the client can let guests try to figure out what it's for. :)

al hildenbrand

Occupation
ceknight said:
Or else a good ol' dummy switch. Don't connect it to anything, and the client can let guests try to figure out what it's for. :)
That's the reason for the extra switch being 3wayed with the original, then it does do something. ;)

What creative things can I do with this extra gang?

allenwayne

If the cu. in. in a single gang old work box isn`t enough.Why not use a 2 gang box with a 2 gang plate one gang a blank and one gang a device.

big vic

carlon has a old work box, new on the market that has a side compartment and a rounded back. It is about 4x4 and retrofits in a single gang space. I saw one at Lowes. Guessing I would say it might be 30cu in

Occupation
Inspector
big vic said:
carlon has a old work box, new on the market that has a side compartment and a rounded back. It is about 4x4 and retrofits in a single gang space. I saw one at Lowes. Guessing I would say it might be 30cu in

The only thing I can find at Carlon website in their Brochure section see this link Zip Box link, page 6. This is only a 17 cu in. box.

al hildenbrand

Occupation
Big Vic,

That sounds real interesting! Like Norb, I poked around at Carlon's site, but came up dry. Can you recall any other details?

al hildenbrand

Occupation
allenwayne said:
2 gang plate one gang a blank and one gang a device.
Allen,

You're an outside the box kind of a thinker, what, besides a blank, would be novel to do with this extra gang. . .?

So far we have:
  1. Blank
  2. Night light device
  3. 3 way connected to first switch
  4. Dummy switch
  5. Receptacle
What else. . . anyone?

Occupation
Inspector
al hildenbrand said:
Thanks for the thought, Chris. Consider:

A bed wall switch that has two 14/2, one 14/3. NM with a nonmetallic box.

Say this is a bedroom switch controlling a remote receptacle outlet.

For whatever reason, it is now necessary to add two additional 14/2 to the location.

What are the two new 14/2's going to do? Could you get to the feed or switch loop(s) and set a j-box? This would help with your fill issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.