Working space

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jerseydaze

Im looking to add a sub pannel in a closet my question is do I need 3 feet of clearance with the closet door closed or can I measure it with the door open?

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Jerseydaze said:
Im looking to add a sub pannel in a closet my question is do I need 3 feet of clearance with the closet door closed or can I measure it with the door open?

You can measure it with it closed but if it is a clothes closet you may want to check art 240.24(D)

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
If this is a clothes closet see the article Dennis posted, if not, you only need the required clearance when the door is open.

Roger

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
roger said:
If this is a clothes closet see the article Dennis posted, if not, you only need the required clearance when the door is open.

Roger
Are you saying that the panel cannot be behind a door when the door is open?

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Dennis Alwon said:
Are you saying that the panel cannot be behind a door when the door is open?

Nope, I'm not addressing the location of the panel in relation to the door when it's open, I'm stating that the required clearance must be there when it is open.

When the door is closed it wouldn't matter if there was only one inch clearance.

Roger

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
I think we are looking at this from two different angles. I am envisioning a walk-in closet and the panel is mounted on a perpendicular wall to the door. When you walk in the room the panel will be hidden by the door but when it is closed the clearance will be met.

I believe you are talking about a shallow closet with the panel directly in front of the door. If that is so I agree the door open needs the clearance. In my case the door closed needs the clearance.

quogueelectric

I will go directly to the point. article 240.24 d states Overcurrent devices shall not be located in the vicinity of easily ignitable material such as a clothes closet.

iwire

Staff member
quogueelectric said:
I will go directly to the point. article 240.24 d states Overcurrent devices shall not be located in the vicinity of easily ignitable material such as a clothes closet.

The opening post made no mention of clothes.

As far as we know it's a broom closet. :)

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
quogueelectric said:

So far the only reference to "clothes closet" has been in the replys and Dennis posted the article and section already.

For all we know the OP may be talking about an electrical closet.

Roger

quogueelectric

out of the closet

out of the closet

I just quoted the article in the code book the NFPA mentioned clothes closet in that particular article. Oh btw you didnt correct all the other posters that did mention clothes closet that were not quoting the code article. Any particular reason why??

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
quogueelectric said:
Oh btw you didnt correct all the other posters that did mention clothes closet that were not quoting the code article. Any particular reason why??

Besides me, there were only 2 other posters that mentioned "clothes closet" before your post, and one was asking whether this was a "clothes closet" so he was not quoting the article, the other member had posted the correct article and section if it was.

You were not being corrected, the point was being made that we don't have any idea (except for assumptions) what kind of closet this was and that if it is in fact a "clothes closet" the third post had already pointed the OP to the pertinent article.

Roger

iwire

Staff member
quogueelectric said:
Oh btw you didnt correct all the other posters that did mention clothes closet that were not quoting the code article. Any particular reason why??

I would not call it correcting, but seeing as you asked I will tell you it was this:

I will go directly to the point.

that prompted my response.

I took it like you where saying I will set all these guys straight

Maybe I was mistaken.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
charlie b said:
And a broom is not easily ignitable? :D
Just ask this nice lady:

MargaretHamiltoninTheWizardOfOz.jpg

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Well they might be easily ignitable, but nobody keeps their brooms in broom closets.

Roger

Status
Not open for further replies.