Engineer needs electrician's help-panel on 2nd floor to feed 1st floor

Status
Not open for further replies.

donw

Hi, I have a design job that is an office addition inside a warehouse. They are adding a first floor office with a second floor mezzanine (future office space.) The architect would like to put the transformer and 208/120V panel that would feed both floors, on the second floor. Would it be easier to route the branch conduits from the first floor? Is it really difficult to route to the 1st floor if the panel is on the 2nd?
Thanks,
Don

bradleyelectric

That would really depend on the set up. Where does the panel and transformer feed from? What type of ceiling is on the first floor? Can the circuits feed from the second floor down conduit into the back of 12"x12" boxes in the ceiling of the first floor than be distributed easily from there? Is that what what you are trying to ask me?

donw

Thanks for the response. Transformer is fed from a 480V panel on the first floor. The ceiling in the 1st floor is a grid ceiling. I'm probably worrying about nothing. I guess you can just bring the branch conduits down through the floor, and into the ceiling space. From there, down the walls to receptacles. I'm just used to seeing branch conduits going up into ceiling space.

lloyd B

How big is the xformer,if the feed for it is on the first floor then why not put the new one next to or close to the feed.You just dont pick a xformer and carry up the stairs.Just a thought.Im sure its at least 25 kva,thats hard on the old back.

donw

Thanks, lloyd. It will probably be 45kva. The 480v panel is existing, but not ina location that the architect wanted a transformer. Upstairs is a utility room.

quogueelectric

panel on 2nd floor

panel on 2nd floor

Just take a deep breath and try to figure where the most cost efective location for that xformer will be. Secondary side conductors can get verry expensive I would rather buy a chainfall and haul an xformer upstairs than pay for heavy guage feeders to run all over the place at 60$ a foot> . Primary side feeders are cheap so try to locate your panels centrally and limit the branch ckt lengths also. We can talk about penetrations in walls and floors annother time however your feeders will be the most important to try to minimize.

I'd have to agree...

I'd have to agree...

I'd have to agree with quogueelectric. Hauling a transformer up isn't as hard as some may think. We usually figure out some very creative ideas!

Think of the owner's pocketbook. They'll thank you in the long run. (We might not!)
Penetrations are relatively easy by comparison. A core drill can get you through just about anything. Holes usually start at $100. That's pretty cheap.
As long as the structural engineer "OKs" things, I wouldn't worry.

By the way, I route across floors all the time. Even done 2 or 3 floors in a single panel. Not really an issue.

If the panel and transformer are within 20' of each other, I'd say the price differences would be a wash. (Either up or down) Labor up, wire down and vice versa.

Greg

donw said:
Thanks for the response. I'm probably worrying about nothing.

The simple fact that you as an engineer happen to be looking to the electrical trade for information/help impresses me. If more engineers had the common sense to do as you, the prints we receive in the field would probably be much more useable. Good luck and don't let your ego grow as large as your knowledge...keep reaching out for help.

donw

Thank you all for your help. And Pierre, I'll never let my ego grow that large. I know that I do not have the hands-on experience that all you have (and never will), so I am pleased we have this site with you as a resource.

Status
Not open for further replies.