Proper Split Bolt Installation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe someone can help. I am trying to create a split bolt installation procedure. I found a couple articles about the taping of them but nothing in regards to the split bolt itself. I found some torque guides. Maybe there isn't anything out there I don't know. I can't find it. I am looking for the beginning to end procedure. Can anyone point me in the right direction.

bobsherwood

I have always started with rubber tape, plastic tape Scotch 33, and the friction tape. It might be over kill but, I would bet it will last long than I will!! :)

al hildenbrand

Occupation
Electrical Contractor, Electrical Consultant, Electrical Engineer
Do you really need the lawyer's list of Do's Cautions and Don'ts?

I like to put one layer of good electrical tape on first, with the sticky side out, then the rubber till smooth, and finally the good electrical tape, sticky side in, to finish.

Rockyd

Occupation
Retired after 40 years as an electrician.
I can see this isn't Al's first rodeo:D ! 110.12 "Journeyman like" installation, works for me, especially when a manufacturer doesn't print anything on the "fishwrap" they sent the split bolt in anyhow, or it is something the equivalent of a "child falling in a bucket of water" cautionaries for the legal community, that is so bent on suing us all.

Cavie

If you have ever taken one apart you should know that the first layer of type should be plastic, then rubber, then plastic.

bobsherwood

I have taken a bunch of them apart .... I use a cheap knife, cut it on either side and USUALLY the rubber will peel off the split bolt. I still like the rubber first.....

Rockyd

Occupation
Retired after 40 years as an electrician.
I agree with Pierre, where did you find the fine print? Was it on the side of the tape (the place lawyers look with a 10X power glass to prepare their briefs against an unsuspecting journeyman trying to make the world a better place) like i always is? Perhaps from the NEIS papers? Just because you do a great job in the field, doesn't make it right, till the legal community has attacked, inspected, detected, and rejected, or accepted what you, as a qualified person are willing to pass off as journeyman like manner!:D

brian john

Maybe someone can help. I am trying to create a split bolt installation procedure. I found a couple articles about the taping of them but nothing in regards to the split bolt itself. I found some torque guides. Maybe there isn't anything out there I don't know. I can't find it. I am looking for the beginning to end procedure. Can anyone point me in the right direction.

NEVER USE THE THINGS sooo 1950's, there are so many better options and labor saving. When a split bolt is identified in an IR scan with a thermal issue. The repairs are worse then the original installation

Do you really need the lawyer's list of Do's Cautions and Don'ts?

I like to put one layer of good electrical tape on first, with the sticky side out, then the rubber till smooth, and finally the good electrical tape, sticky side in, to finish.

The lawyers version can be quite long I am sure. As sad as this sounds when you do a procedure they either follow it to the T or use their own version of what you said in the first place which puts you in front of the lawyers anyway.

e57

If you have ever taken one apart you should know that the first layer of type should be plastic, then rubber, then plastic.

From working in the field. I plastic tape first for the next guy that has to take it apart and hope he passes it along.

I have taken a bunch of them apart .... I use a cheap knife, cut it on either side and USUALLY the rubber will peel off the split bolt. I still like the rubber first.....
IMO this is like the 'buddy tab' people like to put on other tape wrappings typical to say wrapping the head on a pull - but not necessary or any rule to speak of. A split bolt should be as permanent as it comes. I have very rarely taken one apart if only for troubleshooting to see why one had failed, and that it self is a rare bird.

As for the use of them or taping them. Two wrenches are a must - compress until closed - i.e. strands fill the space in the bolt. Then if I have mastic pads used those. Or rubber then friction tape, then 33. And since I nearly lost my eye sight to some thin tape, and mis managed cable - extra thick on the friction tape (which sharp edges have a harder time going through), and manage the conductors so they are not sprung to enclosure walls or covers....

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
One thing to keep in mind is that most split bolts are only listed for use with 2 conductors. I often see a lot more than two conductors under a split bolt.

Status
Not open for further replies.