Inspector uses $5 gadget to detect faulty neutral

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

Physis 3

Does anybody have a problem with an inspector being totally convinced that his stupid three light plug in toy will faithfully report a faulty neutral to him.

P

Physis 3

Well, in this case I want the inspector to issue a stop work order against a slum lord. :grin:

He beleives the code enforcement people with the fire department would have found this. I think he?s off his rocker, the fire guys don?t even know to be looking for this.

brian john

Depends upon the circumstances. I had an inspector tell me his BUG EYE was a better indicator of circuit condition them my megger. I had tested all the branch circuit wiring for a contractor. PHASE, Neutral/grounded conductor and ISO ground (all isolated for test) and all conductors were acceptable he re-terminated them and I tested with a load tester and VOM all were acceptable. The inspectors BUG EYE said there were neutral issues.

I asked him POLITELY if I could see his BUG EYE, oh it was defective. This cost the contractor 4 hours of my time plus equipment rental.

brian john

The inspector insisted there was an issue with the branch circuit wiring. I was hired to verify all the conductors in the branch circuit were acceptable. This was a health club with a Saturday opening, the contractor had been going around with the inspector for several days, trying to get a final and I recieved the call Thursday afternoon, I was there on Friday, to check the wiring.

barbeer

I do not believe that any of us should put all our faith in a piece of equipment that is so cheap. When I use a plug-in tester it is generally to spot check premise wiring and verify GFI and ARC FAULT protection. The burden of proper wiring procedures is on the EC not the Inspector and I do not feel an Inspector should "certify" a system as it sounds that one was doing. The scope for an inspector IMHO is to ensure that an install meets minimum code and poses no safety problems for all involved.

barbeer

ryan_618 said:
Plug in "testers" aren't listed for that.

If by "that" you mean able to trip an ARC FAULT device, you are right, they mechanically do not do it. I however trip the breaker with the test button and assuming correct operation of the tester can see if there is or is not power at the receptacle.

mayjong

i have an Ideal tester (product 61-058) that is just a wee bit bigger than the standard gfi tester and it tests both AFCI and GFCI....

raider1

Staff member
The only recognized test of a GFCI receptacle is the test button on the GFCI receptacle. Same with the AFCI breaker, the only recogized test of the AFCI breaker is the test button on the breaker. Take a look manufactures instructions.

Here is a link to UL on GFCI testing

The sure test testers don't always trip a AFCI breaker, I have one of these testers and have had this happen on occasion. I have had this happen then go to the breaker and hit the test button and the breaker trips.

Chris

P

Physis 3

The case, Charlie, is a slum lord who, myself, his tenants and the code enforcement agencies want action against.

My gripe is that he's doing work without a permit and using unqualified people to do the work, himself included.

My bringing this to the code enforcement folks attention generated this stupid assertion that there's no way there could be a problem because of this tester.

Nobody's brought up what my point is about this dumb toy yet. Plug in a hundred watt bulb on either side of a multiwire branch circuit and, presto, the toy detects a neutral whether there is one or not.

It's simply ineptitude.

Status
Not open for further replies.