control x-former

Status
Not open for further replies.

templdl

Re: control x-former

First I would suggest that you contact the CPT manufacturer regarding this.
Depending upon the va of the transformer, because the cost of CPTs is normally not that expensive, other than the challenge, I'm intregued with why you are trying to do this.
But my first thought is that it is easier to go up in hz than down because the lower the HZ the more it comes closer to DC as the 1/2 of the signwave is longer which commonly results in more heating. There have been some concern even with going from 60 to 50hz let alone going from 400 to 60hz.
Just my 2 cents worth.
Dave

bdarnell

Occupation
Retired Engineer

Originally posted by mcasas:
is it possible to install 208Vp-24Vs 400HZ control transpformer on a 60HZ system
Is this a military or aerospace application ? Either way, I think the answer is no.

RobbieD

Well I'm no expert on transformers but frequency is taken into account when they are made. Frequency, along with other factors determine the amount of turns and the spacing of the coils. I think that it will step down the voltage but you probably wouldn't get 24V on the secondary.
I wouldn't suggest using it for a permenant install, use one properly designed and rated for 60Hz.
If you have it on your bench and are just curious what readings you will get let me know.

You got me curious.

rcwilson

While it is possible to do it, the transformer would probably not last very long.

The transformer core is designed for a specific Volts/Hertz, which is related to the magnetic field the core steel can contain without saturating. If V/Hz is kept constant, there is not a problem. (That's why 480V 60Hz motors can usually work on 400V, 50Hz systems.)

Your transformer is probably designed for 208V/400Hz = 0.52 V/Hz. So at 60 Hz, the primary voltage should not exceed 60 x 0.52 = 31 V.

I recommend buying a transformer rated for the application.

The reason airplanes use 400 Hz is to get more transformer capability per pound of core steel.

Status
Not open for further replies.