Raceway from 'flush mount' to 'surface mount' panelboard ???

Status
Not open for further replies.
What have others found successful when needing to install a small nipple between two panelboards when one is flush mounted in drywall and you plan on mounting an additional subpanel/transfer switch surface mounted?

Pics would be great if possible.

If you offer to install the new panel flush to match the existing, what additional charge do you normally charge?

Thanks so much.

Threephase

mdshunk

threephase said:
Tap in right below the flush mounted panelboard?
Well, you certainly have to exit that flush mounted panelboard on the top or the bottom. I propose to use Greenfield for that purpose. Run the FMC to where ever you want your surface mounted subpanel. What's the job particulars, anyhow? Flush panel in a residential garage that needs a sub added?

ibew441dc

threephase,

Is it outside or inside? Stucco , drywall , brick , wood , etc. Wood framing members around the recessed cabinet? Many factors to consider? Wet or dry location?

First If patching and painting are not a problem , I would open the wall and use a suitable raceway , rmc,imc,ltfmc, if wet/damp location, fmc/emt if dry.

(Outside) If you have to work some magic , and you can come out of the bottom of the cabinet.
1. I would drill a hole straght down near the back of the enclosure.
2. Probe any insulation, etc. out of the way.
3. On the surface wall I would then measure down at least 6-8 inches inline with the hole in the cabinet, and drill a hole large enough for LFMC. (I wouldn't go any less than that because of the radius)
4. fish the LFMC in place
5. after thats in place the rest is a piece of cake.

(Inside)I'd do something similiar to that but I would use FMC

Sounds easy right?:D
These installations can be tough , but thats what makes our job fun.

Good Luck:smile:
Hope this helped.

Ibew441dc

Last edited:
That helped alot. I'm thinking of primarily having a panelboard in someones garage mounted flush between studs. I'll be mounting transfer switches off to one side.

So as you mentioned, I'm thinking of coming out of the existing panel and thru a hole with sealtight (LFMC) into the bottom of the transfer switch.

When coming thru the drywall, wouldn't it look better to install some sort of plastic/metal plate to cover up the drywall? I'm just trying to make the process is speedy as possible while trying save the cosmetic look of the install.

What you proposed is exactly what I planned on doing but wanted to hear it from others.

Thanks.

BarryO

Occupation
Electrical engineer (retired)
threephase said:
When coming thru the drywall, wouldn't it look better to install some sort of plastic/metal plate to cover up the drywall? I'm just trying to make the process is speedy as possible while trying save the cosmetic look of the install.
Just patch the DW around the raceway with spaclking or DW compound. This is ths usually in a garage or utility room, it is usually good enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.