3 wire range in sub pannel

Status
Not open for further replies.

wlcrotts

I recently installed a meter main combo on an apartment whitch
made old pannel a sub whitch i fed with 4 conductors. The apt. Had 3 wire se cable to range whitch i thought would be existing.inspector turned down and left note (take bare from range se cable off grounding bar tape white and install on netural bar . Its now a netural)

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
made old pannel a sub whitch i fed with 4 conductors. The apt. Had 3 wire se cable to range whitch i thought would be existing.inspector turned down and left note (take bare from range se cable off grounding bar tape white and install on netural bar . Its now a netural)

Yes because it is a neutral not a ground.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
How does this comply with 250.140Ex.(3)?

I agree.

From the NECH

250_140.JPG

Exhibit 250.54 An existing installation in which the grounded conductor in Type SE service-entrance cable was used for grounding the frames of ranges and clothes dryers, plus associated metal junction boxes, in accordance with 250.140.

Roger

wlcrotts

exhibit 250.54

exhibit 250.54

exhibit 250.54 APPEARS TO SAY 3 WIRE SE WITH UNINSULATED NEUTRIAL NOT PERMITTED IN SUB PANNEL FOR RANGE OR DRYER

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
inspector turned down and left note (take bare from range se cable off grounding bar tape white and install on netural bar . Its now a netural)
Count your blessings, unless you can get paid more for rewiring the circuit, the receptacle and cord, and the appliance itself (if it's not too old) for a 4-wire connection, which is proper.

I once did a generator addition to an existing service in a garage attached to the house by a ground-level breezeway that ran into the split-level side of the house, with no connecting space.

There was no way to get new cables to the kitchen and laundry without trenching underground around the house. I asked the inspector (before starting) if he would allow the same thing.

He looked around the job, and agreed with me about taping the SE cable bares with white tape, from the sheath to the neutral bar. The customer is the one who really benefitted.

Buck Parrish

Yeah, well it's also the grounging conductor. When it gets to the range.
The neutral should have been insulated to start with, though.
Tough call, IMO

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Yeah, well it's also the grounging conductor. When it gets to the range.
But, it is (or, was) a case of the neutral being allowed to do the bonding, and not of the EGC carrying current.

The neutral should have been insulated to start with, though.
Except for SE cable installations, just like when used as service cable. And again, it was, but no longer.

wlcrotts

yes by giving written permission he save me work and customer money it was a slab house with no attic at all flat roof.I was only curious was i doing the right thing after looking it up in code book. thank you for your reply.wlc

Status
Not open for further replies.