Arc Fault Circuits

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jodonnell

Can you share a neutral on an arc fault circuit? If you can not do you know if they make an arc fault receptacle that can protect the load side like a gfi with addtional receptacles down stream.

Riograndeelectric

AFCI breakers can not share neutral. some of the manufactures do make a 2 pole arc fault breaker. cost is around $80.00
I have not seen any AFCI receptacles on the market I don't believe they exist.
why do you want to share the neutral?
is this an existing installation ?

Jodonnell

The installation is a nursing home, this is a new installation and I would like to share the neutrals to cut down on the number of conductors needed. Each room has three receptacle circuits and I would like to run four conductors (3 phase and one neutral). The other option is to install arc fault receptacle (if they make them). Or last option is to run 6 conductors from the panel to the rooms and install arc fault breakers.

Riograndeelectric

The installation is a nursing home, this is a new installation and I would like to share the neutrals to cut down on the number of conductors needed. Each room has three receptacle circuits and I would like to run four conductors (3 phase and one neutral). The other option is to install arc fault receptacle (if they make them). Or last option is to run 6 conductors from the panel to the rooms and install arc fault breakers.

You will need to run dedicated neutral conductors for each Arc Fault circuit Arc Fault breakers will not work with shared neutral conductors. I have yet to see an Arc Fault Recp on the market.

Last edited:

Jljohnson

I have question about the question........ Why are you installing Arc Faults in a nursing home? Unless the units have permanent cooking provisions, they are not NEC required the way I read it.

hillbilly1

Occupation
Owner/electrical contractor
The arc fault receptacle would not do you any good anyway, If I remember correctly they have to be within 3-5' of the panel, the requirement is the entire circuit is to be protected.

hillbilly1

Occupation
Owner/electrical contractor
I have question about the question........ Why are you installing Arc Faults in a nursing home? Unless the units have permanent cooking provisions, they are not NEC required the way I read it.

It may be possible that this is assisted living instead? Those have cooking facilities in the rooms, but I agree, I see no requirement for a nursing home.

480sparky

2pole144x144.jpg

mlnk

If a residential room is designed for sleeping-it is a bedroom. I think this includes nursing homes. I say keep it simple and run a neutral for each circuit. What does the breaker pictured above cost?

SC-PE

Most nursing homes don't meet the definition of dwelling units and therefore don't require AFCI breakers. Unless the room (or suite) includes provisions for cooking, they shouldn't be required.

Status
Not open for further replies.