reducing the electromagnetic field in an EKG exam room

Status
Not open for further replies.

scorpion

hey all

looking for help designing and building a medical center with numerous exam rooms.

the dr claims that he must due several exams per patient in order to get a baseline due to the electromagnetic field emitted from the electricity (lights, recepticles, etc.) in the room. he does not want this in the new offices.

any suggestions on how to build this room, and what equipment i need?

thanks

JohnME

The last MRI we did had copper lined walls, and we were not allowed to use anything but copper screws. Everything was spec'd for us, engineered right down to the screws used. I dont know if I would feel comfortable doing this unless I was part of an engineering process.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Not trying to sound like I doubt your abilities, but why is this not being designed by an EE knowledgeable in healthcare design?

The EMF and associated problems are not that hard to remedy for those that understand the causes.

Roger

scorpion

first, this is not an mri exam room.
mri rooms come prefab in a shell with alluminum and or pvc raceways and do not need to be electrically isollated.

tthis is a standard exam room.

and the reason it is not engineered out is always the same answear.
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

JohnME

Well, the MRI room we just did wasnt a prefab. Perhaps your original post wasnt clear as to your intent.

As far as the engineering goes, leave it to the professionals, your not going to gain enough knowledge posting a question online to ignore the engineering process.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
scorpion said:
first, this is not an mri exam room.
mri rooms come prefab in a shell with alluminum and or pvc raceways and do not need to be electrically isollated.

I agree with John, I have done over 20 MRI's and have never seen a prefab unit, they may exist but they are not the norm.

Even if some tight wad doctor says he can't afford an EE to design this room or facility, believe me, he can.

I don't know how it works in NY, but here in NC a Lighting Consultant could never seal a design for this type of project.

BTW, If this is a typical exam room, what type of problem is he encountering in his exams that would be associated with EMF's?

Roger

scorpion

JohnME said:
Well, the MRI room we just did wasnt a prefab. Perhaps your original post wasnt clear as to your intent.

forgive me if i wasnt clear.
i have done numerous MRI rooms. years ago they came and constructed walls around the room designated. but in the past 2-3 years, the ones i have worked with came as 6 walls previously mesured and are assembled in 2-3 hours like a puzzle

and i know i should leave it to the engineers. just trying to do the best that i can for my client

scorpion

BTW, If this is a typical exam room, what type of problem is he encountering in his exams that would be associated with EMF's?

no idea. that is what he was complaining about. having to do multiple tests to get an acurate result

tonyi

Are you sure he doesn't have you on a snipe hunt?

Does his gear check out OK in a different setting? I would think that sort of stuff needs periodic calibration and testing of the probe leads to make sure there's no busted wires internally.

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC
The title of your post suggests EKG. I find it highly doubtful that normal EMF's would be causing a problem. In my experience it's more likely the patient is shivering from the room being too cold and that is screwing up the test.

I suggest you ask the doc exactly what he is talking about.

-Hal

Status
Not open for further replies.