damp locations and set screw fittings and outlet boxes

Status
Not open for further replies.

fnluk

Is a residential attached garage considered a damp location Can I use set screw fittings,emt and galvanized boxes on the drywall to add receptacles and incandescent lights?If not what is the proper installation

raider1

Staff member
What are they doing in the garage that would make you think that it is a damp location?

Under normal circumstances I would say that the inside of a residential attached garage would be a dry location and EMT with set screw fittings would be fine.

Chris

fnluk

Iam questioning the interpretation of article 100 definition of damp locations which do include some interior locations --"some basements ,some barns "What about a residential basement ? Is that included?Nothing out of the ordinary is being done in the garage .A few receptacles installed on the drywall for small power tools and a few porcelain base lamps on the drywall ceiling The house is located in Ohio

raider1

Staff member
The definition of Damp location indicates "Interior locations subject to moderate degrees of moisture, such as some basements, some barns, and some cold-storage warehouses."

The exterior concrete wall of a basement is a damp location because concrete can have moisture that seeps through from the exterior. If you are to mount a panel on an exterior concrete wall of a basement you would hold the panel off the wall 1/4 inch according to 312.2(A).

Again the interior of an attached residential garage is a dry location in my opinion, and EMT and set screw fittings would be just fine.

Chris

Mike03a3

In most cases, I think the answer is pretty clear. My basement is completely finished and is no more a "damp" location than my living room. The garage isn't finished, but it certainly isn't a "damp" location either. On the other hand, my daughter's basement is a cellar with a dirt floor. The stairs leading down to it have a removable wooded cover that certainly isn't watertight. I would argue that the lights and wiring attached to the joists are clearly in dry locations, but if I was to run wiring down the wall adjacent to the opening for a switch I'd either assume it was damp or at least have a conversaton about it with the inspector to get his opinion before I had any work done.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Even if the EMT is installed in a damp location set screw fittings are ok. 358.42 only requires compliance with 314.15(A) when the EMT is installed in a wet location.
Don

Status
Not open for further replies.